Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Welcome & News

Level 1: Joiner

Re: iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max & iPhone XR Megathread

@MI5 wrote:
Ah, I see. Strange for an iPhone.
Will CEX not offer you any more money?

CEX is actually less, but the idea of the refresh plan was to keep things simple, so having to go elsewhere or shop around is not ideal, when last year I walked in and exchanged in store when doing the upgrade.

Thanks for the advice though!

@SaintRC wrote:

Would a 22-23 month plan on their custom plan get round that?

Not that o2 deserve defending in any sense, they always handle these yearly pre-orders awfully - just trying to help you out.

Still doesn't get around the issue of the £100 upfront and am I right in thinking that if do this early, I have to go onto a custom plan which doesn't offer the yearly upgrade option? 

If I waited I could stay on the refresh program but would be out of sync.

The issue is created by Apple adjusting their release cycle, but thought O2 might want to do something proactive in order to stop customers like me leaving because I could be out of sync with all new releases going forward.

Highlighted

As I understand it, the custom plans work the same way as Refresh in the sense you can still upgrade at any time, by paying off your device plan in the same way. Then you're just tied into the network plan for whatever contract period you choose.

Topics: 123
Kudos: 232
Blog Posts: 1

Not exactly, there is a small surcharge for the device even when you pay the maximum. For example, you pay the maximum it may leave an amount of say 30-50 spread over the length of the chosen contract length.
Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.

[ Edited ]

Really??? From what I have read the custom plans are still O2 refresh, nothing has changed apart from you can choose it to suit you. I can’t see any termination fees or surcharges just pay of the device plan and upgrade.

Edit: I have just read on the custom plan page there are no termination fees and you can upgrade after paying of the device plan. No mention of any surcharges.

Last time I waited for my 7plus this is the order I got updates through my o2;

In progress
Despatched
Completed.

The despatched appeared a few hours before it arrived.

However we will see what happens.
Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.

@SaintRC wrote:

As I understand it, the custom plans work the same way as Refresh in the sense you can still upgrade at any time, by paying off your device plan in the same way. Then you're just tied into the network plan for whatever contract period you choose.

There is also the difference that after 12 months on my current refresh plan, I can hand back the device and upgrade without having to pay off the remainder of the handset.

On the custom plan after 12 months, I would have to look at reselling the device and then bridging the shortfall. As far as I can see on the new custom plan the option currently on refresh to hand back the device and upgrade for free doesn’t appear to feature anymore. 

Surcharges created by not allowing you to pay off the full device cost. I tried with 2 handsets. For example, say I wanted to pay 610 towards a device leaving 36 at 1.50 a month. Does this mean I have to pay the excess to own the device? Then you just have airtime.

Ok I worked it out. Dealing with other issues earlier. 😁