cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey - thought I'd check back in on this thread to see if O2 have got anywhere.

Glad to see o2 is living up to the expectations of the worst network for customer service.

I did the 9.0.2 update hoping it might help, same result as @Robsa - it had no effect. Within 10 minutes of my run, I lost network connectivity.

Hey @mobileappz in answer to your question, got an S8 and two friends with Ultra same issue, none of them provisioned from o2 (bought via apple). Not sure if there's a difference but I suspect its the same device whenever provisioned from apple or o2. 

Hey @Robsa can you ping us all the link to the official compliant process you used? I'll join in. 

To be honest it's getting to the point now where after 2 weeks I'm on the verge of giving up. I only moved to o2 for the Apple Watch support; and now regretting it. Hopefully I can use the compliant to get out of my contract and go to a better network now the majority support the watch. 

Message 51 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

So basically it's the complaints review service - if you have received unsatisfactory service they can look at it for you.  I was given bad advice by O2 and so used that as my springboard.  

https://www.o2.co.uk/sites/default/files/2018-08/Customer%20Complaints%20Code_0.pdf

Message 52 of 233

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that, I didn't have an official compliant down so I've now raised one.

Really hard with the o2 Support team, they won't come off script easily, and kept trying to walk me through all the steps, telling me to go to Apple, get my e-sim reprovisioned. the lot.

Didn't help at all as you can expect. Same issue remains.

I did manage to get £10 credit added to my account and a "promise" that my compliant will be raised to the relevant team. Doubt it will go anywhere based on the experience so far.

For anyone impacted, make a compliant and get compensation, It may only be £10, but it's the least you deserve as right now O2 is charging you for a service they cannot provide.

Message 53 of 233

246astralblue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I assume no one has had a resolution to this yet? What are people doing? Asking for refunds? 

Message 54 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@246astralblue An update from me. I’m currently doing troubleshooting with the networking team. A duplicate ESIM profile was found and removed on my account, and I’ve just gone through the process of unpairing my watch and having my ESIM reset. Which all sounds promising… but no. I finished that process on Saturday and today it’s made absolutely no difference. I’m getting a phone call back from O2 later today to check-in, and so I’ll find out then where we go next. So frustrating. I’ve started pricing up a new contract with EE or Vodafone…

Message 55 of 233

246astralblue
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, it seems there is no tangible resolution to this from the O2 side. I returned my watch as faulty to Apple (this was before it became clear on this forum that the fault is with the O2 network and Apple, not the watch itself). However, as all the watches are now out of stock, I have to wait weeks for a replacement. Not a great resolution all round. 

Message 56 of 233

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10722 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3106 Solutions

@246astralblue 

I have a feeling its a bug somewhere in the software, as others on different networks globally have reported the issue, and to be fair the LTE on Apple Watches has always had some quirks and people have been reporting issues with connections constantly dropping since Apple introduced the Apple Watch.. 

It might be worth someone raising as a bug with Apple, and then trying to get the networks and Apple to talk to each other

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 57 of 233

246astralblue
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for this response. Interesting to hear that the issue occurs elsewhere. Are we away if any of the UK networks have any issues? From peoples comments, so far it seems not.

Message 58 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@madasaf1sh  Whilst I’m starting to think it’s a software fault too, I’d be curious to know your sources for saying it’s a global issue? I’ve spent way too much time scouring the internet for similar problems, and only come across a couple of instances that are vaguely similar, and most of those are generic ESIM problems. By far the biggest concentration is with O2. 

I’ve had cellular Apple Watches for 4 years, and never had the issues I’m having now. 

Message 59 of 233

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10722 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3106 Solutions

@Anonymous 

This isnt just the Ultra, but also the SE, 7 and 8, and have seen it across the Apple Forums, the Apple Dev Community, Voda and EE forums... 

It does seem to be a bigger issue with the Ultra on o2.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 60 of 233