cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can confirm that the cellular data connection of the Watch works flawlessly so far on 2 other U.K. networks and reconnects after losing signal proximity, without the Watch needing to be restarted as per O2. Feel sorry for people committed to a long contract. Quite puzzled by this issue because it seems like it’s an O2 issue and I assume only they know exactly how many complaints they are receiving about it. But you would think if it was affecting all Apple Watch Ultra, we would see more visible feedback online. Maybe it’s only a small subset of users or people don’t realise because they haven’t gone out of range of their iPhone. Or the lack of stock of watches had masked the issue. I suspect if it’s something inherent to their infrastructure it’s not going to be resolved quickly considering the response times and correspondence that  experienced.

Message 61 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mobileappz outside of this forum, I’ve seen very little evidence of this being a major issue on other networks. It does seem to be an Apple Watch Ultra + O2 problem. So far I’m jumping through the troubleshooting hoops with O2 support in the hope I will eventually get to a resolution. Have you progressed any further? Something I noticed from this forum is that everyone (I think) has come from a previous Apple Watch. So I’m wondering if I need tell O2 to cancel my Watch tariff, wait a couple of days and start again as if it was brand-new.

Message 62 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, having a working cellular data connection was the main appeal of the Watch for me and quite critical for my use case so unfortunately had to find an alternative carrier. I did what you are describing of asking them to remove the plan entirely and when I tried to add it and set up a new plan I then experienced the “code 10” server side O2 error. Which effectively made the problem even worse because the Watch then had no cellular capabilities at all like calls. And then apparently no-one could “reset the esim” because it was no longer an Apple Watch o2 account. So would recommend to be wary about that. Yes agree it does seem  to be affecting people upgrading from a  previous Watch.

Message 63 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @mobileappz. So, just so I understand correctly, you’re no longer with O2 and have switched away completely? And your watch is now working as expected, no connection issues? I’m very seriously considering changing to EE, and if I know there’s a very high probability my Ultra will work, then it might just make my mind up. I’ve been out of contract for ages with O2 and can switch straight away. Ironically I’ve only stayed with O2 because of my Apple Watch tariff. 

Message 64 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi yes that’s correct and Watch works fine so far on another carrier with no connection problems at all. Apart from it seems generally less capable of receiving a weak cellular connection than iphone but that’s always been the case. Hopefully it will stay working because I’m not entirely convinced about the stability of the esim set up and Watch plan account set up process on any carrier, or the technical support familiarity anywhere  even though the watches have been around for years now. Was a bit concerned there could be technical issues or service disruption porting the number especially with it being an Apple Watch related one, but was fine, can even get a PAC online. There are some good deals around. It’s possible to get a sim and try it out as a watch plan with little commitment on a different number, even if not to permanently change provider, but to be able prove the point that it’s an O2 network specific fault.

Message 65 of 233

Hodgson
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey, I have just had my watch 7 replaced by apple due to a fault and I am getting this no connection fault.  it shows that my plan is 02 but isn't accepting incoming calls when on the stand-alone 

Message 66 of 233

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12397 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1149 Solutions

You might need to get o2 to remove the old watch and replace it with the new one @Hodgson 

I'll mention the community advisors to see if they can help with that.

Can you please assist @O2Jonathan @O2Emma ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 67 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update from me; sadly no more promising than anyone else.  Spoke to a tech guy who said they are aware of the problem, and that is affects S8 and Ultra.  In some cases they can sort it out, but in mine they couldn't and had to pass it over to their Apple Watch tech team, who haven't got back to me yet.  

I don't think this is a problem with other networks or watches, it does just seem to be O2 and S8/Ultra as far as I can see.  So still utterly unresolved for me, lots of apologies from O2 and little action.  I would be off to EE now except that O2 insist you pay off phone and watch to switch service provider so I'm stuffed now unless I pay off a couple of grand.  

Message 68 of 233

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

an update from me. spoke to O2 again today. started banging on about needing to scan an O2 esim that should have come with my watch? never had that before but they are sending me out one. In the meantime  we went through a couple of things and a reboot and added what was an additional O2 plan to my watch and for a brief few seconds it showed plan: O2 and Status: Connected then it disappeared and now I have neither a plan or status... 

Message 69 of 233

Haylzzz74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All

Just an update from me, O2 texted me to say my network issue on my Apple Watch case was all fixed and is now sorted. I got all excited switched my watch off and on to reconnect to to the cellular connection, was very happy to see the status was "Connected". Switched off blue tooth to force it over to cellular, all going well until 20 minutes later when the connection dropped out and had the dreaded "No Connection" AGAIN! So replied back to O2, as they had asked, if this wasn't fixed and now have not heard a thing from them since Sunday! 😔

Message 70 of 233