cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

this is infuriating. ok they have credited my account with £10 for line rental but that is not the point. I cannot use my watch without the phone. the ultra is a lovely watch, very pleased with it but the point was so I could go running / walking without having to take the phone with me. As a matter of interest, did anyone have to scan a QR code with their new watch? I don't understand how it could work for 5-10 seconds or in the case of Haylzzz74 20 minutes and then drop out again. I now have no plan/sim on watch an unable to add through the phone app. error code 10...

Message 71 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, don't think there is ever a need to scan a new QR code with the watch, or it's even technically possible considering it doesn't have a camera. When O2 send out a new esim in the post, don't think this is the right approach to fix it to be honest. One time they did that actually the phone connection was disconnected because they de-activated the phone sim card when they sent it out. Following what you said about error 10, that's what happened to me after O2 completely removed the Apple Watch plan. It was impossible to add a new plan after that. Totally agree the whole point of the ultra is to be able to use it without a phone at all.

Message 72 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi, I now seem to have 2 sims coming in the post. I'm wondering whether I am getting a new sim for my phone and then I scan the qr code for the esim. Or perhaps I'm just clutching at straws... 

Message 73 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

a further update, I had a call from O2 tech who have told me to unpair watch and remove from iCloud and leave for 48 hours. Then to install as watch from iCloud backup and add plan again.

Message 74 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

@numbers912 that’s similar by advice to what I was given, except I was told to wait 24 hours. I honestly think it will make no difference (it didn’t for me). I've not seen that advice given anywhere else and don’t see the link between iCloud and your device’s ability to connect to a mobile network. 

An update from me. Today I received my new EE SIM and will have my number ported by tomorrow. I’m going to unpair my watch and setup as new (to remove all O2 gremlins) then setup a new EE plan on my watch. I hope it works, otherwise the saga continues. 

I’ll update this forum in a couple of days. 

Message 75 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have my doubts. the frustrating thing is all the different advise / instructions... 

Message 76 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ugh, advice, not advise...😀

Message 77 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, the 'sending out a new eSIM' thing is a total red herring and likely just to mess your account up even more.  They tried this with me and told them they were talking nonsense.  I put in a complaint about being given wrong advice and it was upheld by O2.  It seems to be what the least knowledgable staff members do as they don't understand how the Apple Watch works.

I STILL haven't heard back from O2 Apple Watch tech team, it's been a week today.

Message 78 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

gone through the 48 hour wait etc - of course did not work. been on the phone with a watch expert and trying a few things. keep getting error code 10. had to set up as a new watch again and currently syncing. the guy is calling me back in an hour...

has started talking about getting a replacement but I don't think there is anything wrong with the watch.

Message 79 of 233

246astralblue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

All, a quick update. I have moved to the EE network, and I can report the watch is working independently without connection to my phone. This appears to be an O2/Apple problem. The one caveat I’d make is that (as I reported in an earlier message), I did ask Apple for a replacement watch, which they sent as I initially thought my watch was defective. I have therefore set up EE on this new watch, but I still believe this is a network issue, given the number of people here who have the same problem. I don’t believe it is down to faulty watches. I hope this helps. 

Message 80 of 233