cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

1. Transferred from a S6 to Ultra

2. Depends.  My watch has two states; one where it displays the ICCID and I can send messages/make calls but nothing else.  The other is where it says it is connected to O2 but the ICCID says 'No SIM', and then nothing at all works. 

3. Yes, didn't work

4. Yes, didn't work

5. Yes, nothing they tried tried worked.

Message 41 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

1. Did you transfer your O2 plan from a previous working Apple Watch? Or is it a brand new plan? I moved from an AW3.

2. Are you able to make calls when the watch says “No connection”? I could when it was working partially, as in with cellular phone mode possible but data not working consistently. I now get code 10 error - so there is no cellular data or phone functionality at all.

3. Has O2 removed your plan completely and re-added? Yes, they completely removed it. Now unable to set up new O2 plan - code 10 error.

4. Have you deleted your plan via the Watch App and re-added? I have. No effect.

5. Have you spoken to Apple support? Yes they think it is an O2 issue.

Message 42 of 233

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

upgraded from a AW6 to Ultra

I am unable to make calls if not connected to phone

I removed plan and re-added as O2 c/s waste of time

not bothered with Apple as it seems clearly an O2 issue

Message 43 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

but what seems clear is that the GBP 5.00 per month should not be charged.

Message 44 of 233

Haylzzz74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi i have an apple watch series 8 on O2 and i have the dreaded “No Connection” issues, it connects initially then it will just disconnect every few minutes or swconds even. I have this raised with O2 but they have supplied no solution so far 😏

Message 45 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

went in to O2 Cheltenham - as requested by 'customer services' Pointless.

Message 46 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has anyone else had any luck with this yet?

Message 47 of 233

Carlos04
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nothing from o2. No statement or confirmation of an issue. Is o2 selling the ultra with a cellular contract in the o2 store. If so, are those people having the same issue. If they are, why are they selling it when it is not working as described. Then again 02 are not confirming that they have a possible problem in the first place. Can o2 put a statement on this community forum confirming they at least acknowledge this issue or working on a fix?…..Come on o2

Message 48 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's interesting whether there is any difference between the O2 Apple Watches and non O2 purchased Apple Watches in regards to this. Mine is non O2. My impression from things I have read is that they are distinguished by O2 somehow at some level and are provisioned by O2 before they are dispatched. Wonder if anyone at O2 can confirm? And in trying to obtain support about these issues it has been a common question whether the watch is from O2 or not.  Also, I posted a separate question here asking whether anyone can confirm that they have a fully working and robust cellular data connection on Apple Watch Ultra or Apple Watch 8 on the O2 Network : https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Apple-Watch-Ultra-and-Apple-Watch-8-Using-Cellula...

Message 49 of 233

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update from me:  I put in an official complaint last week and just had a call back, where they agreed with me and upheld my complaint about getting poor advice from O2.  The important thing is though that they are passing the details I provided about the problem to the IT team and someone will be getting back to me within 72 hours.  I underlined that this affects many, if not all, Ultra and S8 O2 users.

As soon as I hear back I will give an update if things haven't been settled already.

Just to add: I updated the watch to 9.0.2 this morning hoping that might help but it doesn't sadly.  Also, I bought my watch through O2 and have to say I find it unlikely O2 provisioned it before sending it out, personally.

Message 50 of 233