Did you mean: 

PAYG phone unlocking charges

Nick9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I tried to unlock my PAYG phone - the O2 Help page states 'If you’re on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone or tablet can be unlocked at any time, for free.', but both my My O2 account and customer services say there is a £15 charge, to which I cannot find any reference.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

PAYG.PNG

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
o2 used to operate a policy that some newly released phones would not be unlocked until a certain period of time had passed.
The example is that new iPhones were not allowed to be unlocked until they had been released for 6 months.
What @Martin-O2 means is that now phones are able to be unlocked as soon as you get them (if they are locked).
I would get in touch with customer services and ask them to provide the unlocking details you need.
Out of interest, what phone are you trying to unlock?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 31 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 you should be good to go! Drop me a PM when you're done. smiling

@Cleoriff@gmarkj Yes it seems like not bothering to lock handsets at all would make sense but there may be a technical or other reason this is not being adopted. I'll see what I can find out. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 32 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Cleoriff@gmarkj Yes it seems like not bothering to lock handsets at all would make sense but there may be a technical or other reason this is not being adopted. I'll see what I can find out. wink

If Three can sell unlocked handsets @Martin-O2, then it should be easy enough for O2 to do ....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff It certainly can't hurt to ask the question! 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 34 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@MI5 you should be good to go! Drop me a PM when you're done. smiling

All done mate

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Awesome thanks @MI5

signature

Message 36 of 55

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@AK04 wrote:

I am still unclear, what does previously selected devices mean?  It is still asking me to pay £15, how do I get my phone unlocked for free?  

Can you possibly assist with this @Martin-O2 or does @AK04 need to call customer service for free unlocking. Seems strange that this new policy is not adopted on the web or through My O2 yet.

Message 37 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks @jonsie

@Nick9 Are you seeing this in your My O2? 

signature

Message 38 of 55

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Martin-O2 it is still showing in my o2 just checked can do screen grab if required 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 39 of 55

AK04
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just contacted live chat and although they could not resolve now as it is past 10pm, they confirmed this would be free and the website was being updated but if I contact them again tomorrow between 8am-10pm they will sort this for me.
Message 40 of 55