Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay As You Go

Highlighted
Level 40: Notorious

Re: PAYG phone unlocking charges

o2 used to operate a policy that some newly released phones would not be unlocked until a certain period of time had passed.
The example is that new iPhones were not allowed to be unlocked until they had been released for 6 months.
What @Martin-O2 means is that now phones are able to be unlocked as soon as you get them (if they are locked).
I would get in touch with customer services and ask them to provide the unlocking details you need.
Out of interest, what phone are you trying to unlock?
Now using the LG V30.

Previously: LG G4, Sony Z1, HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Omnia i900
Try the Tech Galaxy Note 4
Try the Tech Lumia 640LTE and Microsoft Band
Community Manager

@MI5 you should be good to go! Drop me a PM when you're done. smiling

@Cleoriff@gmarkj Yes it seems like not bothering to lock handsets at all would make sense but there may be a technical or other reason this is not being adopted. I'll see what I can find out. wink

Community highlights:
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Gig tickets giveaway!! Smiley Wink Interested in any O2 Academy gig? Let us know for a chance to get free tickets!
Priority gig tickets calendar - Check out the latest tickets avaialble on Prioirty!
Instant Winners is back! - Enter the weekly prize draw every Friday!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Topics: 663

[ Edited ]

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Cleoriff@gmarkj Yes it seems like not bothering to lock handsets at all would make sense but there may be a technical or other reason this is not being adopted. I'll see what I can find out. wink

If Three can sell unlocked handsets @Martin-O2, then it should be easy enough for O2 to do ....Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Community Manager

@Cleoriff It certainly can't hurt to ask the question! 

Community highlights:
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Gig tickets giveaway!! Smiley Wink Interested in any O2 Academy gig? Let us know for a chance to get free tickets!
Priority gig tickets calendar - Check out the latest tickets avaialble on Prioirty!

signature

Topics: 526
Solutions: 10,769

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@MI5 you should be good to go! Drop me a PM when you're done. smiling

All done mate

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Community Manager

Awesome thanks @MI5

Community highlights:

signature

Topics: 543
Solutions: 3,345

@AK04 wrote:

I am still unclear, what does previously selected devices mean?  It is still asking me to pay £15, how do I get my phone unlocked for free?  

Can you possibly assist with this @Martin-O2 or does @AK04 need to call customer service for free unlocking. Seems strange that this new policy is not adopted on the web or through My O2 yet.

Community Manager

Thanks @jonsie

@Nick9 Are you seeing this in your My O2? 

Community highlights:

signature

Topics: 292
Kudos: 1,843
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,310

@Martin-O2 it is still showing in my o2 just checked can do screen grab if required 

iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Level 1: Joiner

Just contacted live chat and although they could not resolve now as it is past 10pm, they confirmed this would be free and the website was being updated but if I contact them again tomorrow between 8am-10pm they will sort this for me.