Did you mean: 

PAYG phone unlocking charges

Nick9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I tried to unlock my PAYG phone - the O2 Help page states 'If you’re on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone or tablet can be unlocked at any time, for free.', but both my My O2 account and customer services say there is a £15 charge, to which I cannot find any reference.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

PAYG.PNG

Message 1 of 55
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

Thanks again for spotting and highlighting this. As you may have guessed, the page in My O2 is indeed incorrect – it should be displaying the new information you can see from this URL. We have raised this to the My O2 team who are now aware of this and will be working on implementing an update for the app to resolve this and display the correct information. Due to the timescales involved for making such changes, this unfortunately may take another week or so, but it will be changed on the next update cycle.

Thanks again for spotting this. In the meantime for anyone wanting to unlock their device, please visit https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo... which has all the correct and most up-to-date information. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

View solution in original post

Message 51 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122119 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hi @Nick9

It's definitely £15 to unlock. See community guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

PAYG phones need to have been on the network for at least 12 months (iPhone is the exception here again which is anytime subject to the above restriction for new models).

There is a £15 unlocking fee on PAYG and the phone needs to be registered on the O2 network, so, if you have just purchased a PAYG phone which was previously supplied by O2, insert an O2 Simply PAYG SIM free sim and top up £20. Make a few calls to register the phone and ensure you have at least £15 credit remaining then fill out the form as above manual form

Although having checked the link you provided, it does say it can be unlocked for free

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...

I will mention this to @MI5 as he wrote the first guide I linked to...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 55

MI5
  • 143183 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
@Martin-O2 has this changed or is it another website error?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 55

MI5
  • 143183 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Thanks @Cleoriff, no changes that I am aware of so asked for clarification.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 55

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Nick9 Could be a website error or a change in policy

but just tried in my o2 and got this @Martin-O2 can we get this checked 

74D07396-B7AA-43F9-B2B5-934CFBE3A56E.jpeg

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 55

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

I hope there has been or there is a plan to change. No network should lock phones at all in my view. However, recent posts on here point to there still being a £15 unlock fee. I'm guessing yet another website error.

Message 6 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122119 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

It's just weird that there is NO mention of an unlocking fee...and the link actually states it's free.

Oh well just have to wait for clarification I suppose rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 55

jonsie
  • 92812 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6909 Solutions

Nick9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting more confused ....

I don't see this being 'website error' - my (and presumably everyone's) terms and conditions refer to www.o2.co.uk for charging information and therefore form part of the terms and conditions I had to agree to when I purchased the phone.

Have I missed the communication about the increase in charge to £15, which seems to be wide knowledge? I thought price increases had to be advised in advance (T&Cs section 11)

Message 9 of 55

MI5
  • 143183 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
It’s always been £15 for PAYG. There is no price change that we are aware of and it there is, it’s gone down, not up.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 55