O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Topics: 289
Kudos: 1,812
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,297

Re: PAYG phone unlocking charges

Confirmed in this ofcom document https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locki... always been £15

iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 256gb refresh o2 open discount
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Topics: 642

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Confirmed in this ofcom document https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locki... always been £15

Website error then in the link where it says it's free Evil

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 526
Solutions: 3,279

@Cleoriff wrote:

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Website error then in the link where it says it's free Evil

My thoughts too, so it's over to admin.pray

Community Manager

Thanks for the mention guys! As far as I'm aware there have been no changes and a fee should still be charged. I'll raise this with the team to confirm and find out whats going on with that web page. 

We're looking for new Community members!

→ Check out these lovely quotes from our existing community members! 
  → Join our forum by registering here 
5 reasons to belong to the O2 community

Community Manager

Hey @Nick9@jonsie@Cleoriff@adamtemp64@MI5 I have some great news about this one!

With immediate effect O2 have removed the following business rules from the usual unlatching process:

Consumer Pay Monthly customers:

• Customers on selected devices will no longer need to be on a Consumer Refresh tariff in order to unlock their device
  • Customers on selected devices will no longer need to have paid off their device plan in order to unlock their device

Consumer Pay As You Go customers:

• The £15 unlocking fee will be removed resulting in all future unlocking requests being free of charge
  • Customers will no longer need to have been with us for 12 months to unlock their device; they will be able to unlock their device at any point

We're looking for new Community members!

→ Check out these lovely quotes from our existing community members! 
  → Join our forum by registering here 
5 reasons to belong to the O2 community

Hallelujah for that @Martin-O2

This means the unlock guide needs changing @MI5 Smiley Very Happy

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 510
Solutions: 10,055

Thanks @Martin-O2 if you can give me precise details of what "selected devices" are and also confirm if the PAYG change applies retrospectively to all PAYG devices or just those purchased after a certain date, I'll be happy to amend the guide to reflect current policy.
Although it does beg the question..... why bother locking them at all?
Surely it would be cheaper to remove network locks completely like ThreeUK have done and save the processing and admin costs of dealing with unlock requests?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)

@MI5 wrote:

Although it does beg the question..... why bother locking them at all?
Surely it would be cheaper to remove network locks completely like ThreeUK have done and save the processing and admin costs of dealing with unlock requests?

Great idea. Far too simple @MI5?

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 510
Solutions: 10,055

I like simple Smiley Wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Topics: 526
Solutions: 3,279