Did you mean: 

PAYG phone unlocking charges

Nick9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I tried to unlock my PAYG phone - the O2 Help page states 'If you’re on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone or tablet can be unlocked at any time, for free.', but both my My O2 account and customer services say there is a £15 charge, to which I cannot find any reference.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

PAYG.PNG

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Confirmed in this ofcom document https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locki... always been £15

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Confirmed in this ofcom document https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/mobile-phone-locki... always been £15

Website error then in the link where it says it's free Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 55

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Website error then in the link where it says it's free Evil

My thoughts too, so it's over to admin.pray

Message 13 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention guys! As far as I'm aware there have been no changes and a fee should still be charged. I'll raise this with the team to confirm and find out whats going on with that web page. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Nick9@jonsie@Cleoriff@adamtemp64@MI5 I have some great news about this one!

With immediate effect O2 have removed the following business rules from the usual unlatching process:

Consumer Pay Monthly customers:

• Customers on selected devices will no longer need to be on a Consumer Refresh tariff in order to unlock their device
  • Customers on selected devices will no longer need to have paid off their device plan in order to unlock their device

Consumer Pay As You Go customers:

• The £15 unlocking fee will be removed resulting in all future unlocking requests being free of charge
  • Customers will no longer need to have been with us for 12 months to unlock their device; they will be able to unlock their device at any point

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hallelujah for that @Martin-O2

This means the unlock guide needs changing @MI5 Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 55

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thanks @Martin-O2 if you can give me precise details of what "selected devices" are and also confirm if the PAYG change applies retrospectively to all PAYG devices or just those purchased after a certain date, I'll be happy to amend the guide to reflect current policy.
Although it does beg the question..... why bother locking them at all?
Surely it would be cheaper to remove network locks completely like ThreeUK have done and save the processing and admin costs of dealing with unlock requests?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Although it does beg the question..... why bother locking them at all?
Surely it would be cheaper to remove network locks completely like ThreeUK have done and save the processing and admin costs of dealing with unlock requests?

Great idea. Far too simple @MI5?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 55

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I like simple wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 55

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions