cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime iMessage Error

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've recently got the iPhone 7 and I'm unable to activate my FaceTime and iMessage.

I've been in contact with O2 and Apple and gone through many different troubleshooting steps (turning iMessage on and off, trying the airplane mode technique, complete restore of handset etc..) in order to resolve the issue - with no joy. I've even had a replacement sim. I can send and receive normal texts fine and the internet works no problem. The date and region settings are all set correctly.

O2 state I need to follow this up with Apple and Apple say the opposite. I'm unable to try a sim from another network in my iPhone as it's locked to O2. However, when I have tried my O2 sim in my old iPhone 6 the services don't activate. Yet when I insert my old Virgin Mobile sim in it and an EE sim it activates no problem.

This leads me to believe the issue is NOT with Apple or my handset but the actual network.

Getting really frustrated now as I'm unable to use my phone as I should be able to and just keep getting passed from one company to another as nobody knows what the issue is. One gentleman from Apple did say he believed it to be something to do with the SMS relaying.

Please help!!
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok very strange apart from persisting with the previous trouble shooting I would book another genius appointment at apple and explain what you have done . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 51 of 58

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
perhaps also take the old and the new phone to show them it definitely works...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 52 of 58

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous How are you getting on with this issue? Have you found a solution yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 53 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Martin-O2

I haven't resolved it yet. I'm waiting on a call back from Apple as they've escalated it to their engineering team. I just don't know what on earth is going on. Took my sim out of my phone today and put it into my friends iPhone 6 and both services activated. Put his sim in my phone - both services activated. Put his sim back in his phone - both services activated. Put my sim back in my phone - neither service activated!!
Message 54 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I think we've ruled out your sim as being the issue.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 55 of 58

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous Good to hear the Apple team have escalated the problem. Please do provide us with an update when you hear back from them! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 56 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, it's been a while since I last posted but I've only just got a resolution today.

In the end Apple replaced my handset with a new one and the issue has been resolved.

I finally have both services activated properly. I'm just relieved to get it all sorted at last!
Message 57 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Go to know and thanks for updating us.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 58 of 58