cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime iMessage Error

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've recently got the iPhone 7 and I'm unable to activate my FaceTime and iMessage.

I've been in contact with O2 and Apple and gone through many different troubleshooting steps (turning iMessage on and off, trying the airplane mode technique, complete restore of handset etc..) in order to resolve the issue - with no joy. I've even had a replacement sim. I can send and receive normal texts fine and the internet works no problem. The date and region settings are all set correctly.

O2 state I need to follow this up with Apple and Apple say the opposite. I'm unable to try a sim from another network in my iPhone as it's locked to O2. However, when I have tried my O2 sim in my old iPhone 6 the services don't activate. Yet when I insert my old Virgin Mobile sim in it and an EE sim it activates no problem.

This leads me to believe the issue is NOT with Apple or my handset but the actual network.

Getting really frustrated now as I'm unable to use my phone as I should be able to and just keep getting passed from one company to another as nobody knows what the issue is. One gentleman from Apple did say he believed it to be something to do with the SMS relaying.

Please help!!
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

A strange one that I have not seen on my iphone 7

I take it all other data services work ok like vvm etc ?

I guess you have already tried this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201422

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response.

Yeah, pretty much everything works as it should except for these two services.

So puzzled!
Message 3 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Do you have tugo on your phone or other devices?
If so, log out of tugo first and make sure it's turned off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 58

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 I guess this could be an issue but it did not affect mine when setting up the 7 as the sms activation is a normal number not a short code . But worth a try @Anonymous

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys. I've not installed tugo on any devices so can't put it down to that 😔
Message 6 of 58

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And I guess itunes account works ok and icloud ?

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I've not had any issues with either of those services.

When I've been researching the problem I can't find anybody who has had the issue and hasn't been able to resolve it via the normal troubleshooting.

Message 8 of 58

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Can you just try the steps again in the link I posted turning both off restart the iphone then turn them back on after say 30 mins .

Ensuring you are in a good coverage area and maybe set the mobile data network to 2g only mode before turning them back on .

Just trying to see if it is to do with the sms issue.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Also, have you ever previously had tugo on anything?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 58