cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime iMessage Error

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I've recently got the iPhone 7 and I'm unable to activate my FaceTime and iMessage.

I've been in contact with O2 and Apple and gone through many different troubleshooting steps (turning iMessage on and off, trying the airplane mode technique, complete restore of handset etc..) in order to resolve the issue - with no joy. I've even had a replacement sim. I can send and receive normal texts fine and the internet works no problem. The date and region settings are all set correctly.

O2 state I need to follow this up with Apple and Apple say the opposite. I'm unable to try a sim from another network in my iPhone as it's locked to O2. However, when I have tried my O2 sim in my old iPhone 6 the services don't activate. Yet when I insert my old Virgin Mobile sim in it and an EE sim it activates no problem.

This leads me to believe the issue is NOT with Apple or my handset but the actual network.

Getting really frustrated now as I'm unable to use my phone as I should be able to and just keep getting passed from one company to another as nobody knows what the issue is. One gentleman from Apple did say he believed it to be something to do with the SMS relaying.

Please help!!
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

MI5
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Quite depressing really.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 58

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And all the answers are given here. @MI5 @jonsie Such a shame us customers can see the issue yet the outsourced customer services cannot (ofcom have already fined Vodafone) 

@Anonymous Have you asked o2 to reprovision messaging ? 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 43 of 58

MI5
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I think the op had given up now and I can't say that I blame them.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 44 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I always find it amazing that a massive business like Amazon DO make notes on your account and if you ring again all you need to say is 'could you please check my account for previous notes'.

Add to that Amazon will call you immediately...at their expense..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 58

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I know from past experience that O2 advisers are judged on the number of calls per hour and the amount of time spent in aftercall (writing notes) so whilst it's annoying for the customer, the adviser will normally write notes during a call if possible and if not possible.....

Message 46 of 58

MI5
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Maybe they need judging on the quality of call then.

Currently using:
Message 47 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, so the plot thickens!

I found an old iPhone 4s lying around with iOS 9. something installed - so I used my sim adaptor and popped it inside - within 10 seconds it activated for both Facetime AND iMessage!!

Took the sim out and popped it back into my iPhone 7 - no activation.

So my sim DOES work - but it not with iOS10+ - very weird!

Any suggestions? Lol

Message 48 of 58

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

In the imessage section check your mobile number is showing correctly and also check my number is correct in settings> Phone > my number in correct international +44 1234 567890 format

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 49 of 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep - it's all present and correct.

I feel bad now for ranting about o2.

Message 50 of 58