cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After reading this I just went out again to see if it was working still and initially it wasn't but I am in a bit of a crappy signal area. I walked a little further and it kicked in ok. for a few moments I was very stressed

Message 111 of 233

snookieboy
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just thought I'd follow up here for all those still having difficulty.

It's possible someone here could have a genuine faulty Apple Watch (maybe a faulty Modem?), but for the vast majority they don't and this is an o2 issue pure and simple.

After weeks of suffering, I left O2 last week and in my case joined Three (but the other big networks work also) and since joining Three, my watch has been perfect. This is the same watch which got the no connection on o2 after 10 minutes.

Not only that, but even though I was in a 3G/4G/5G area for o2, my watch was never connecting beyond 3G. I got use to Siri being slow and whatnot and just thought that's the Watch's low power modem or similar and I accepted it as normal.

I didn't know any better, until I joined Three and noticed that the Cellular Logo on your watch changes to '4G' when on LTE and it never did that while I was on O2 across multiple watch generations even though I was in a 4G/LTE area with strong signal.

I know the watches don't have 5G, but it makes me wonder if o2 4G doesn't work with the watches either, or maybe the masts around me use 4G on a frequency that is unsupported by the Apple Watch. Be curious to know if others ever got 4G on their watch with o2 when it works or if its only 3G service.

Either way, the fundamentals of using the watch on the go completely change when its on a fast, responsive 4G network compared to 3G. Siri is instant, Apple Music streaming is instant. It's game changing while on my daily runs if I'm honest.

So all I'd say is keep at it if you can, this isn't an issue with your watch, keep pestering O2 until it's fixed and keep demanding a refund of the charges until it is. And if you don't want to wait, jump ship.

The other networks work with both the Ultra and Series 8.

Last time I'll be posting here, but wish everyone luck and hopefully you get it sorted one way or another!

Message 112 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was about post something on here and say almost exactly the same thing! I’m now about 2 weeks in with using EE and have not experienced a single issue with cellular on my Ultra. In fact it’s been so good, I’ve got a new appreciation for having 4G on my watch and I’m opting to leave my iPhone at home more often. 

@snookieboy I also noticed my cellular logo changes to 4G, but couldn’t honestly remember what it was doing before. 

Anyway, for those still battling with O2 support. Stop messing around unpairing/repairing your watch, there’s now some clear evidence in this forum that O2 are the problem here. To reiterate, I’m using the same Ultra as I have done from day 1. On O2 it didn’t work reliably (anywhere). On EE it does. 

Keep up the good fight. 

Message 113 of 233

Cardo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all for the 12 pages of posts on this topic.  I came here as I too have been suffering the exact same issue with my Ultra.  I hadn’t realised my £5/month for the last couple of months had been going to waste.  Having seen o2’s ineptitude in your posts, I’ve now chosen to move to Three having put up with o2’s dreadful network for the past few years.  At least I’ve saved myself the pain of going through tech support!

Message 114 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

FWIW my watch is running on O2 4G and seems to be ok.

Message 115 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still not working for me, been thru 2 eSim resets as well as the usual watch resit/repair!

For those who moved to EE or 3 how much do they charge for the AW data plan, and I know 3 now charge for roaming, how does that work on the AW Ultra?

Message 116 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Has everyone else left O2 or had this fixed somehow? I'm still without Watch service, online chat just repeats the reset/repair and then I hear nothing back so have to start a new chat and go through the whole loop again! Very frustrating.

edit although I just turned off phone and WiFi and did get a connection, off for a run later so will try that.

Message 117 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@numbers912 Did you move from another watch or was this your first watch on O2?

Message 118 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have left O2. As far as I’m aware Vodafone is the only U.K. carrier currently offering roaming. Look for “hot” deals that are not on the main carrier website (no advertising here is allowed). They are often cheaper. Be interested to hear if worked in the end on o2?

Message 119 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still no joy 😞 From last nights run

incoming-3CF52E28-4AD1-4BAE-BB58-07E81CA5F5FF.PNGincoming-AF7C73CA-B56F-4476-A040-4523A4A02579.PNGincoming-BF230869-52AC-4190-970F-60A351B240B6.PNG

Message 120 of 233