cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Haylzzz74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just an update from me and my series 8 apple watch, mine is still not working after installing both the watch and iphone updates. I still get the dreaded “No Connection” just wondered if there are any updates from any of the O2 community mods in here?

Message 101 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I can provide some clarity of the network profiles, at least from my observations anyway. The profile is updated as part of watchOS 9.1, and will show as such on the watch (Settings > About), however it doesn’t seem to update in the watch app on the phone until the ESIM has been fully online at least once. After it has, it updates the settings in General > About in the Watch app. So I think all along everyone’s would have been up to date, the Watch app was just delayed in showing it. I noticed this when setting up my watch from scratch. To start with the Network Provider was a hyphen, then when I forced cellular on my watch and went back to the Watch app afterwards it had changed to the mobile provider. 

Message 102 of 233

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, that lasted a day and an half and now has gone back to no connection. Utterly fed up is an understatement.

can’t explain what happened or why, but for a brief period it worked and was normal and now it’s back to its old behaviour.

Ive given up and taken out an unlimited sim only plan with three for £16 a month.
A month of this crap from o2 and no proper resolution.

also Craigellachie I replied in line to your question about network profiles already in detail, scroll up.

Though tbh looks like a false alert, can’t explain why it worked for a day and a half, maybe it was nothing to do with the network profile in the end and just happened to happen on the same day o2 magically worked for a brief period. 

Message 103 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sadly came across this thread when trying to solve my ultra having no connection. Tried unpairing, resetting and pairing. Also on watch OS 9.1 with 22.0. I had a few moments where it connected last night after a power off/on. After a short journey it was back to No Connection.

A reboot last night left me with No Connection, a reboot this morning and it shows connected for now!

Message 104 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The issue I had was data connection was ok up until you move to an area with no signal. And then when come back to an area with signal, it should work again, but it doesn't connect to data again unless you restart the watch.

Message 105 of 233

Jayheartdoc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Similar problem here. No connection on Apple Watch Ultra - tech support have reset the SIM and I've removed the data plan and re-added on numerous occasions. Did a full reset and re-pairing. No luck. Very frustrating as paying for a service I can't use.  If anybody has a solution it would be very much appreciated!

Message 106 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

just checked mine and still seems to be connected ok. 

Message 107 of 233

kitenski
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Support have reset my SIM on Friday, told me not to use the watch for 24 hours and reconnect. No difference, status is still No Connection

@numbers912 what was the magic that got and kept your ultra connected?

Message 108 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received a replacement watch but they appear to have set it up as a second account which I will be speaking to them about. 

Message 109 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, update from me:  they sent me out a new Ultra and... no difference.  Says it's connected, shows the ICCID but if I try playing something in Apple Music it says 'No Internet', and numerous other errors in other apps.  Nothing works at all, even though connection says 'connected'.  I'm going to maybe ask to leave O2 as I'm utterly sick of this now.

Message 110 of 233