cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A mini guide to doing a Sim Swap on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. slight_smile

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Nottechsavvy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I’ve recently got a new phone and and changed providers to O2. I requested my old number be transferred over and provided O2 with a pac code. It was due to transfer on March 30th. However when I text, call and face time it’s still coming up as the number that cane with the new phone/sim.

I am unable to speak to anyone at O2 and am clearly not tech savvy to work out what I actually need to do!! Do I need to do a sim swap?? If not then what?? Please help, your my only hope
Message 61 of 100

Nottechsavvy
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Update... calling is actually my old number that I want to keep. Texting and face timing is the new number.
Message 62 of 100

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Are you using an iPhone @Nottechsavvy?
If yes, you need to update your number in your phone (Settings-Phone number). Once you have done that, turn your phone off and on again and for iMessage and FaceTime your correct number should show.
For normal texts, it may be that the system is catching up. As you might expect there are delays with the number ports at the minute...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 63 of 100

Nottechsavvy
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes, I am using an iPhone. It’s showing both phone numbers. Should I delete the one I don’t want??
Message 64 of 100

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yes, and then switch off and on again.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 65 of 100

Philm
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Silly question, do I need to update/replace my sim for a 5g compatible. Or can I just use my normal sim and pop it in my new 5g enabled phone when it arrives? Thanks
Message 66 of 100

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Philm 

You'll need a new 5g sim.

Your 4g sim will work for all except 5g data though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 67 of 100

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You need a 5G sim to get 5G. Your old one will only get 4G

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 68 of 100

Craftybetty1
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the same problem, I know longer have the old sim so i can't do that - what other way round is there please? I can't get through to customer services as they have said its not urgent, but it is to me, as I am trying to work from home. (my new device is a mobile broadband one)

Message 69 of 100

Evans_01
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I perform the sim swap to my new contract sim, does my old contract automatically end on the 'end date' as oposed to carrying on out of contract?

Message 70 of 100