O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

How-to Guides

Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update

by lovemyphone on ‎16-07-2017 22:35 - last edited on ‎24-07-2017 13:25 by Community Manager (11,375 Views)

This is just a quick help guide for people who want help on doing s sim swap. 

Do I Need To Swap my Sim 

If its your first contract with O2 then you will be provided with a new sim card & number with your shiny new phone. The sim packs now come with 3 sims so you can pick the correct sim card to fit your device. They are a standard sim, a micro sim & lastly the common nano sim used in most phones. 

You will need to perform a sim swap most times if you are upgrading to a new tariff. This is to have an updated network such as 4G available when it is rolled out in your area. You can set up your new sim card to have 4G at www.o2.co.uk/4G/setup

How Do You Do The Sim Swap

You can visit your local O2 shop & they will do it for you.

You can do it yourself in 2 different ways 

1. Go online to http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk & follow the instructions 

2. Text the word SWAP to 20220 from your O2 phone. You will get step by step instructions via text message. 

You will know when is done because your old sim will not work but your new one will be up & running. If you do it in store you are more likely to be up & running with your new SIM card before you even leave the shop. The process could take up to 24 hours to complete & keep turning your phone on & off until the new SIM card is active. 

When you do the sim swap only your tariff or credit will transfer along with your phone number. Nothing that is stored on your sim will transfer across.

If you Change your phone

the SIM card isn't the right size then you can either do a sim swap or pop into your local o2 store & get an adapter to put your current sim in.

If you have a faulty Sim

If your old sim does not work & you can't access the text to start the swap then you need to contact customer service.

Comments
by Cleoriff
on ‎17-07-2017 07:06

Good guide @lovemyphone It needs to go into the Knowledge base and Index of help guides @Martin-O2

by lovemyphone
on ‎17-07-2017 07:43

Thanks very much @Cleoriff

by Community Manager
on ‎17-07-2017 09:33

Awesome guide @lovemyphone

I agree @Cleoriff I'll get the index updated and the guide moved to the Knowledge Base. 

by lovemyphone
on ‎17-07-2017 14:59

Thanks @Martin-O2

by Community Manager
on ‎24-07-2017 12:24

Excellent, thanks for working on this and posting it @lovemyphone

Fantastic

by pgn
on ‎11-11-2018 18:38

Short, sweet and to-the-point. Good job!thumbsup

by Syl1656
on ‎11-01-2019 14:44
Just been into store to buy upgrade my payg phone, need a smaller sim which they would not give me without photo id. I have had the same number for about 20 yrs. Tried to sell me phone that I could not use until I took my passport in! Won't be going back..
by MI5
on ‎11-01-2019 14:49

@Syl1656 just order new SIM online then follow the SIM swap process when it arrives. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go

by Syl1656
on ‎11-01-2019 15:30
What's wrong with using all the security details used with online account? Other companies have no problem changing a sim without..
by MI5
on ‎11-01-2019 19:05

I would rather a network with very tight security for this so no one else could get a SIM with my number on it.