cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A mini guide to doing a Sim Swap on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Note: please refer to an updated version of this guide in our How-to Guides section, here. slight_smile

Community_STS_PAC2.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Anonymous @MI5 @Cleoriff thanks guys I'll add the guide to the index today cool

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 31 of 100

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

@Anonymous @MI5 @Cleoriff thanks guys I'll add the guide to the index today cool

Excellent @Martin-O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 100

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I find it difficult to argue against that to be honest with all that has happened lately. 

Message 33 of 100

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

Most useful, @Anonymous - only one thing missing: transfer of any remaining credit/balance from old SIM added to the balance on the new SIM (PAYG users).

This balance thing can be done in the same call as the actual swap (in an O2 shop, in my case), but as happened recently to me, the old number transferred overnight onto the new SIM, but the new tariff got obliterated - so the balance on the old SIM was transferred, the £10 applied to the new SIM was wiped out, and the calls/data/texts were all chargeable after the swap until a web-chat with O2 was completed and all was put right.

Also removal of the 500MB bolt-on from the old tariff could only happen after the current month's bolt-on had expired (new SIM bundles 2GB along-with, old SIM was an early cersion of Classic PAYG).

Message 34 of 100

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Most useful, @Anonymous - only one thing missing: transfer of any remaining credit/balance from old SIM added to the balance on the new SIM (PAYG users).

This balance thing can be done in the same call as the actual swap (in an O2 shop, in my case), but as happened recently to me, the old number transferred overnight onto the new SIM, but the new tariff got obliterated - so the balance on the old SIM was transferred, the £10 applied to the new SIM was wiped out, and the calls/data/texts were all chargeable after the swap until a web-chat with O2 was completed and all was put right.

Also removal of the 500MB bolt-on from the old tariff could only happen after the current month's bolt-on had expired (new SIM bundles 2GB along-with, old SIM was an early cersion of Classic PAYG).

I'm a little confused as:

a) there is no need to swap sims for a tariff change as it can be done at O2's end therefore, no change to the user and 

b) If you do sim swap, the same tariff and credit will just be transferred directly to the new sim (so only used where a different size sim is required).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 100

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

The phone was 149.99 in O2, but 129.99 in CPW (SIM-FREE) or 99.99 in CPW if bought with an O2 SIM and topped up with £10.00 at time of purchase.

Getting the best deal when buying a new phone is a minefield...

Message 36 of 100

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ah, I see, so what you should have done was just migrate your original number to the new sim, not sim swap, hence the reason you got your old tariff transferred until you called up to correct it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 100

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

This is what confused me in the initial thread that @pgn posted in. Thought it was all in my head 🤕

Message 38 of 100

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It all makes sense now jonsie.....

Currently using:
Message 39 of 100

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 40 of 100