cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the only people to benefit are those who use data. For me sending a text and a call every day it's well over the top, reminds be of the bad old days where we really got charged. So as I am only 6 months into my "contract" I will be getting a French sim card for when I am in the bolthole. No internet there so I cant even use TU or Skype. O2 you are not going the right way to keep customers.

Message 61 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi all,

I'm waiting for clarification on the changes to the travel bolt on.

Please keep an eye on this thread for updates.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 62 of 633

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Can confirm O2 travel will not be activated upon receiving calls or texts whilst abroad. The £1.99 will kick in when placing calls, texts or using data in eligible countries for customers who have opted in to O2 travel.

Message 63 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

you should be employed by O2

Message 64 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Holidays is for fun Evil

Message 65 of 633

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144843 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

you should be employed by O2

He is......

@PhoneDoc what we were asking for confirmation on was if the 50p connection charge had been scrapped?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 66 of 633

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
£1.99 a day will now include the data plus 120 minutes and texts back home - there will be no further charge for these. Any calls or texts above this will be charged at standard EU roaming rates - ie by the minute/text.

No word on the charges for receiving calls - other than it wont activate the £1.99. Personally, I imagine either it'd be the standard EU roaming rate also or maybe the cost will be absorbed.
Message 67 of 633

MI5
  • 144843 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
Have you guys had an official instruction of the changes from o2 and/or is it any different to the website?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 68 of 633

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions
This is from our own training resources to respond to customer queries. I'm not sure to what extent it varies from others sources.
Message 69 of 633

MI5
  • 144843 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
OK cheers

Currently using:
Message 70 of 633