cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi @GrahamW . Jus to pick up on something in your post: using TuGo in Spain to call a Spanish number will actually be charged at £1/minute as this is esentially the same as calling Spain from the UK. 

Here are two options you might want to consider:

• Light user. If you only send the odd text or make short calls, opt out of O2 Travel. You can use TuGo to call and text the UK out of your monthly allowance when you're connected to wifi. If you don't have wifi it'll only be 16.5p/minute and 4.8p per text - and similar pricing for local spanish numbers.
  • Heavier user. If you will be making longer phone calls, require internet access and may be without wifi - it will be much more beneficial to stay opted in to the revamped O2 Travel. You can still use TuGo for all your calls and texts back home without paying anything. For days that you're maybe away from wifi you can activate the £1.99 bolt on and make use of 120 minutes, texts and data for any local number in an eligible O2 Travel country.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 186 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It sounds like you may be correct, but this is the first I've heard of any changes so we need to investigate it.
@Toby @Martin-O2 can you help please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey M,

I received the email today and also the link in the email directs to the O2 Website:

http://www.o2.co.uk/o2travelupdate?cm_mmc=email-_-05778o2travelupdate-_-A000912218-_-findoutmore-_-0...

Message 3 of 633

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That is how it reads but surely....can't be right? Send one text and pay £1.99?

Message 4 of 633

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, that's exactly how it reads.
You will be charged the £1.99 per day for any phone use at all.
No mention of the 50p connection charge for calls anymore though.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 633

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

That is how it reads but surely....can't be right? Send one text and pay £1.99?

The assumption is that everyone will be using data as well, I guess.....?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 633

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 633

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I always use data anyway so it was always £1.99 per day for me - I'd be better off if they have dropped to 50p call connection charge too though.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 633

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Obviously making it a bundle gets around this interim cap.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34646434

As they're not charging for individual use, they can bundle it how they like...
I wonder if you can hold them to the capped billing if you opt out?
Message 9 of 633

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
"That means telecoms operators will be able to add a surcharge of no more than:

€0.05 (3.5p) extra per minute for calls
€0.02 extra per SMS sent
€0.05 extra per megabyte of data used

The cap would make roaming within the EU 75% cheaper during the interim period, the European Commission has said."

I want that tariff please lol
Message 10 of 633