Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum account balance

MM42
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is there a minimum amount I need to keep on my PAYG account before I lose my number? Thanks in advance Mel

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149486 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@MM42 

A top up every 6 months and a chargeable call every 6 months is all that's needed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 149486 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@MM42 

A top up every 6 months and a chargeable call every 6 months is all that's needed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 9

Fisher21
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

According to the T's & C's only a chargeable activity is required. Not a top up.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/on-pay-and-go-our-service-terms-are-worth-a-read#bm-o...

7.1 If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number.

Message 3 of 9

TallTrees
Level 50: Versatile
  • 11227 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 374 Solutions

Hello @Fisher21 

@MI5 is correct 

My family have a paygo

this facility requires a chargeable call (which is a phone call not text) every 6 months (my advice would be before this time for safety)  and a top up to the paygo account ~ we put in an amount 6 monthly) 

We feel lucky to have a paygo on these very "light" requirements as more phone providers will not want to provide that kind of service anymore as it is not economical. 

However it is your choice.

Best wishes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 9

Fisher21
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TallTrees how do you know you need to make a top up? It's not in the terms and conditions. I called O2 yesterday as my PAYG SIM was disconnected. They said this was due to not making a chargeable call in 6 months. They reconnected the number and did not mention anything about needing to top up.

If there is a need to top up with O2, there are several providers that still offer PAYG that do not need you to do that, so there is no need to feel grateful to O2.

Message 5 of 9

Fisher21
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This thread has been updated by Forum Manager and comes direct from O2 - who confirmed that you only need to do one of the things listed to keep your PAYG number active.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-Top-Up-PAYG/ba-p/1156408

Keeping your SIM connected

If you don’t top up, add a Bolt On or carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any six month period, your O2 Pay As You Go sim card will be disconnected and you’ll lose any remaining credit on your account. More here (Updated by @Dave-O2 on 18 Jan 2024)

Message 6 of 9

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7944 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

Experience says follow the advice and make a call. Seems the system does not read terms and conditions.

It will cut you off and then it is a messing to get reconnected.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 9

Fisher21
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Agreed, that's all you need to do. You don't need to top up every six months.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 149486 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Fisher21 wrote:

Agreed, that's all you need to do. You don't need to top up every six months.

You do if you're on a bundle tariff as you can't make a call without a top up 

Message 9 of 9