cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whatsapp not working whilst roaming in Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys, for the past week or so my whatsapp isn't connecting to the network whilst on data roaming with 3G connection in European countries. It works fine in the UK however doesn't connect in Europe and I've tried in 4 different countries so far. I haven't re-installed it yet as I have so much data on there to back up first. Any ideas? All other apps work fine whilst using roaming. Thanks

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have reset Network Settings, updated whatsapp as well as deleting and re-installing the app. Still no luck
Message 11 of 50

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92925 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 12 of 50

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Has to be WhatsApp server. Send them an email
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 13 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have done so and they claim there are not problems with their severs their end. They said it has to be an issue with either the handset software/hardware or with the network carrier
Message 14 of 50

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Try manually selecting a different network and see if it's any different?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 50

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Get the impression that's been tired.

Might be a daft idea, but try disabling the new encryption setting and see if that makes a difference.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 16 of 50

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Get the impression that's been tired.

Where does it say that?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tried all of the suggested steps, and have just got off the phone from O2. They assure me it's nothing to do with them as I can use other apps such a safari and Facebook on data without a problem. I've also contacted Whatsapp and they've said there are no issues with their servers so I'm very lost as to what the solution is!
Message 18 of 50

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'd be inclined to agree with o2 unless they are actively blocking whatsapp, which they can't do as you are not on the o2 network when roaming.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 50

therantyone
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

While I am an Andorid user, we have had the same issue in Sicily (Italy). Suddenly WhatsApp stopped working around 24-25 April. Was working fine on data before then and we are here reguarly as well as other EU countries and never have an issue. As the OP notes, is not a WhatsApp issue and is the same acoss ll networks and settings. Only WiFi works. Also not an issue of the version as I was on the old one and then updated, so same issue with or without encryption!

We had one useful call or chat with O2, he rest useless with the normal rubish re reloding it, etc. The useful call acknowleged there is an issue with WhatsApp on Data where we are and it should be resolved that night, but still no joy. My guess is there is either a data restriction in place, but if it is the same in other coutries there seems to be an issue with O2 and data use for WhatsApp on non-home networks. Friends on O2 200Km away have not had an issue either.

Message 20 of 50