Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Welcome & News

Topics: 247
Kudos: 386

Re: Community Spotlight: SamsungFanBoy

@Cleoriff wrote:

@WispaRed7 wrote:

Thank you for a lovely Spotlight @SamsungFanBoy smiling

I am hearing a lot about the tv series Chernobyl ... I shall have to view it on catchup 

You wont be disappointed @WispaRed7 . Brilliant series, although mixed with much sadness. The one good thing to come out of it is the forest and nature reserve which has grown there. Wild animals who will remain untouched as people are banned from entry for the next 20,000 years 

Chernobyl.jpg

Thank you for this information @Cleoriff 

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry
Topics: 23
Kudos: 35

It's really amazing! I would love to visit the exclusion zone and look at the old Soviet buildings etc but it isn't safe to do so even using a geiger counter.
Topics: 669

@SamsungFanBoy wrote:
It's really amazing! I would love to visit the exclusion zone and look at the old Soviet buildings etc but it isn't safe to do so even using a geiger counter.

@SamsungFanBoy 

You can visit. Look here (and I'm as surprised as you will be!)

https://thriftynomads.com/how-to-visit-chernobyl/

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 247
Kudos: 386

Thank you for the link @Cleoriff for a visit to Chernobyl 

The photos alone tell a mind-blowing story 

*possum si vollo* *per ardua ad astra*

I don't work for O2
Xperia L1 - The Android Army Marches Onwards
Acer Aspire 5750 laptop
Unlimited Sky Broadband
MI6 - Commander Jane TOP SECRET - Status 00 Licensed To Type - HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE + pic of a very young Lois Maxwell (have mug to prove it) - Promotion tbc to Data Entry

I know that you can visit but I was speaking to someone who actually used to live in Ukraine. They said they knew someone who visited the area, they stayed there for 2 days and 8 years later they were dead.... The affects take years to come on. I don't think I'd dare risk it after being warned off like that.

@SamsungFanBoy 

I honestly do not think they would be allowing guided tours unless it was safe. In fact the article i linked to states...

Radiation sticks around for a very long time, and the exclusion zone is not expected to be safe for humans to live in for the next 20,000 years. However, radioactivity can be considered mostly harmless in small doses (like when you get an x-ray, or even take a long-haul flight), and the day tours into the exclusion zone mean that you’re only exposed to low levels of radiation for just a few hours.

There are around 400 people that actually live inside the exclusion zone, and another several thousand that work in and around the power plant, decommissioning the retired reactors and constructing the new sarcophagus. They manage the radiation exposure by limiting their time in the most hazardous areas, and are also required to take longer breaks away from the site so that their bodies have time to recover.

On the way out of the exclusion zone, everyone is required to go through an old soviet radiation control checkpoint. The device required each person to place their hands on either side while it checks your radiation levels.

I certainly wouldn't want a holiday there but would have no problem with a 8 hour tour. wink

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Topics: 544

Even so, I think I will pass....

I'm with @jonsie I wouldn't risk it.

There's a documentary about the people who live in the exclusion zone. I know this is vague but it's either on Now TV, Netflix or Google Play Movies. I've been watching all 3 lately. Their health problems are bad but because they are old, the government have let them do as they wish and stay there because they figured old age would probably kill them first. One woman had massive hands. Another was confined to her bed. The government send officials to collect samples of their water etc which is all highly radioactive and the scientist said "I feel sorry that anyone should be drinking this water or eating this food". The mushrooms are extremely dangerous because they absorb a lot of radiation from the ground as they grow.

@SamsungFanBoy 

I know all this and was simply pointing out that you can take tours to Chernobyl if you wish.

They are considered safe. In fact Ukraine is thinking of building an amusement park to bring in more tourists!! (What a terrible idea)

My reason for saying I would be ok to go, was simply due to the forests and wildlife which are thriving since the disaster. Showing that out of tragedy, some wonderful things can occur. Of course these forests and wildlife are safe for eternity, as there will be no human intervention to destroy it. slight smile

*The Game Is On*