Community Spotlight: SamsungFanBoy

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Community Spotlight: SamsungFanBoy

Hi everyone, happy Friday!

I hope you've been enjoying this past week and are looking forward to the sunny Saturday and Sunday ahead! ☀️

It's time to post a new Community Spotlight today! yahoo You might have seen SamsungFanBoy around on the Community since April this year, discussing various topics in several help boards as well as Discussions & Feedback. We thought it would be great to learn a bit more about him! Thanks very much @SamsungFanBoy  for answering our questions below. thumbsup 

Don't hesitate to say hi everyone and ask if you have any additional questions not listed here! smiling

What's your name and where are you from?

My name is Simon and I'm from the East Midlands.

Why did you join and stay on the community?

I joined the EE community when it first started up (I was an EE customer at the time). I quite enjoyed it and end up with them making me a Community Manager giving me access to the lounge area because of my knowledge. They asked me if I'd worked in telco before which I hadn't so that was pretty cool. That's why when I left EE, I joined the O2 Community. I guess I like to use it as a way as well to keep up to date.

Based on your username, you're obviously a fan of Samsung. Smiley Very Happy What made you a fan originally?

I am a fan of Samsung. My first Samsung phone was the Samsung A300 on BT Cellnet (now O2) which was the first black and white flip phone that had the dual display so you could see from the front who was calling you which wasn't previously possible and by flipping the phone up on the older models, you had no choice but answer as they used to answer automatically. This gave users a choice to answer or not. I loved it and thought it was ace! I've loved their phones ever since!

I had their first touch screen phone the Samsung Tocco F480, to their first smartphone on their own now defunct operating system called Bada which was the Samsung Wave S8500 then I went onto the Galaxy S range. I started off with their very first watch which was called Samsung Gear and had a lovely orange strap with a camera protruding out at the side which very often used to be caught and I'd be recording the pavement as I was walking around lol! I also had the first very Galaxy Tab 10.1 so yeah, I should have shares. 😛

What toppings belong on your favourite pizza? 

My favourite pizza is probably a margarita with extra mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and basil pesto.

Do you have any pets?

I don't have any pets although I like cats.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I love to get out and about. Travel and see new and exciting places!

Which future development in tech are you excited about?

I'm definitely most excited about the 5G roll out. The speeds are going to be amazing! I just hope it comes to my region fairly quickly. slight_smile

What's your favourite TV show and movie?

I've just recently subscribed to a TV app and I've been streaming the Chernobyl Series to my TV and I've absolutely loved it! Another TV series fave is The Tudors which was aired a few years ago.

My favourite film is probably The Cunjuring 2. Not many horror films make me jump but that one did!

Do you listen to any specific music genre and what's your favourite artist/band?

I'm definitely a 90s head when it comes to music.. Mainly Electronic, Pop & Trip Hop. I have different favourite artists so really I can't choose just one.

I do really like Röyksopp and Susanne Sundfør though. I was also a fan of the original Sugababes.

If you had to spend 5 months on a deserted island isolated from the rest of the world, what 5 items would you take with you?

If I was to spend 5 months on a desert island

I would need:

1. Yorkshire Tea
  2. My Galaxy Buds
  3. My Galaxy S10 for my music
  4. A handheld fan
  5. Plenty of water tongue

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for a lovely Spotlight @SamsungFanBoy smiling

I am hearing a lot about the tv series Chernobyl ... I shall have to view it on catchup 

You wont be disappointed @Anonymous . Brilliant series, although mixed with much sadness. The one good thing to come out of it is the forest and nature reserve which has grown there. Wild animals who will remain untouched as people are banned from entry for the next 20,000 years 

Chernobyl.jpg

Thank you for this information @Cleoriff 

Message 21 of 34

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
It's really amazing! I would love to visit the exclusion zone and look at the old Soviet buildings etc but it isn't safe to do so even using a geiger counter.
Message 22 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy wrote:
It's really amazing! I would love to visit the exclusion zone and look at the old Soviet buildings etc but it isn't safe to do so even using a geiger counter.

@SamsungFanBoy 

You can visit. Look here (and I'm as surprised as you will be!)

https://thriftynomads.com/how-to-visit-chernobyl/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the link @Cleoriff for a visit to Chernobyl 

The photos alone tell a mind-blowing story 

Message 24 of 34

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I know that you can visit but I was speaking to someone who actually used to live in Ukraine. They said they knew someone who visited the area, they stayed there for 2 days and 8 years later they were dead.... The affects take years to come on. I don't think I'd dare risk it after being warned off like that.
Message 25 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy 

I honestly do not think they would be allowing guided tours unless it was safe. In fact the article i linked to states...

Radiation sticks around for a very long time, and the exclusion zone is not expected to be safe for humans to live in for the next 20,000 years. However, radioactivity can be considered mostly harmless in small doses (like when you get an x-ray, or even take a long-haul flight), and the day tours into the exclusion zone mean that you’re only exposed to low levels of radiation for just a few hours.

There are around 400 people that actually live inside the exclusion zone, and another several thousand that work in and around the power plant, decommissioning the retired reactors and constructing the new sarcophagus. They manage the radiation exposure by limiting their time in the most hazardous areas, and are also required to take longer breaks away from the site so that their bodies have time to recover.

On the way out of the exclusion zone, everyone is required to go through an old soviet radiation control checkpoint. The device required each person to place their hands on either side while it checks your radiation levels.

I certainly wouldn't want a holiday there but would have no problem with a 8 hour tour. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
I'm with @jonsie I wouldn't risk it.
Message 28 of 34

SamsungFanBoy
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
There's a documentary about the people who live in the exclusion zone. I know this is vague but it's either on Now TV, Netflix or Google Play Movies. I've been watching all 3 lately. Their health problems are bad but because they are old, the government have let them do as they wish and stay there because they figured old age would probably kill them first. One woman had massive hands. Another was confined to her bed. The government send officials to collect samples of their water etc which is all highly radioactive and the scientist said "I feel sorry that anyone should be drinking this water or eating this food". The mushrooms are extremely dangerous because they absorb a lot of radiation from the ground as they grow.
Message 29 of 34

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@SamsungFanBoy 

I know all this and was simply pointing out that you can take tours to Chernobyl if you wish.

They are considered safe. In fact Ukraine is thinking of building an amusement park to bring in more tourists!! (What a terrible idea)

My reason for saying I would be ok to go, was simply due to the forests and wildlife which are thriving since the disaster. Showing that out of tragedy, some wonderful things can occur. Of course these forests and wildlife are safe for eternity, as there will be no human intervention to destroy it. slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 34