cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to O2 - signal problems...is this normal?

Chris1979
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I have just joined O2, ported my number yesterday but am having signal issues.

I live in Bromley and travel round the M25 to Gatwick for work - so not exactly remote locations. Despite the complete route and work location showing solid 4G coverage for both data and calls, I am having really patchy reception. Data has been showing as 3G only and Ookla is having trouble running a speedcheck - when I do get a connection, it is about 1Mbps maximum.

I've checked my settings and the phone is set to 5G (iPhone 13 Pro).

Is this standard for O2 or is there a network problem? For comparison, I'm using dual sim and Three is showing 4G and 5G throughout the same areas.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Chris1979 

It's not standard for O2 but depends on your location I suppose.

A guide to check here Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

If you need further help then contact O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Chris1979
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Still at Gatwick with only 3G-data.

I contacted customer services who got me to refresh my network settings and turn the phone on-and-off. No effect. Although they said it could be that the area is 'busy', I just can't believe it is the location unless vast swathes of Kent and Sussex get poor signal - I travelled 50 miles today and only saw 3G despite the coverage checker showing strong predicted 4G+ signal across the area. The other weird thing the phone does is take a lot longer to find the network than usual...I'm dual sim and my Three network is locked on in 5 seconds whereas it is up to 30 seconds to find the O2 signal. Can't be the phone because I'd previously been dual sim with Three and Vodafone with no problem.

The deal I got from O2 was unmatched elsewhere but if I can't get signal, I'm going to have to use the 14-day cooling off period to leave. Anyone got any advice before I throw in the towel?! 😞

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Chris1979 

Some phones will only allow you to have one 4G Data connection, so will drop down to 3G. 

Try setting the o2 sim to primary and then try again. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

Chris1979
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No, I'm on an iPhone 13 Pro which shouldn't have this problem. I've also got rid of the second line completely and still have the problem.

I'm now convinced there is an issue with how my phone is connecting to the network. I've arrived home and prior to my number port, I was getting good 4G signal. Now the same location is 3G with intermittent dropping out of both data and voice.

My wifes iPhone and father-in-law's phone in this same location are both connected to O2 with 4G.

Customer services aren't helping much.

Message 5 of 6

Chris1979
  • 8 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another call to O2 customer services and still no resolution. This time they got me to switch Network Selection to "O2-UK" instead of automatic. Still stuck with 2-bars of signal and 3G whilst sat next to my wife with the same model iPhone on O2 with full 5-bar signal and 4G. Yesterday my phone gave me 4G and full signal whilst sat here so I know there isn't a problem with the handset.

Message 6 of 6