Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls - no caller ID

Roman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since Thursday all of my incoming calls are coming through as ‘No Caller ID’. This includes all of my saved contacts. I’ve checked all of my phone settings, completed a network reset, installed the latest iOS,

called O2 twice (they just googled it and offered no solutions!), been to a store and done a SIM swap. When another SIM,

with another account and number, is placed into my phone it works fine! It seems to be baffling everyone. Anyone have any ideas??….

Message 1 of 263
262 REPLIES 262

Rodders2
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Oxonian and Cleotff. I had just written quite a long reply that I agreed with Markyp's post.

In breif, I am not going to be fobbed off any longer. in light of the large number of complaints of this issue, o2 MUST know what the cause is but choose not to even tell us what it is, let alone do anything about it.

My official complaint to the so called o2 complaints department, I made some weeks ago, seems to have been ignored.

I am going to escalate my complaint to the mext level. 

Many thanks, 

Rod (Retired Radio & TV engineer.

Message 231 of 263

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37279 Posts
  • 239 Topics
  • 1700 Solutions

Try Resolver.co.uk, @Rodders2 - a free third-party service that has met with at least timeous results. Good luck!

Message 232 of 263

Amyww
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Rodders2 From my own experience of this issue which took 4 months to resolve, it seems O2 are running about 2 months behind in terms of dealing with complaints. I initially submitted to resolver at the start of July and didn’t receive a response until mid September. The lady who finally reached out said the reasons for the delays were staff shortages and system changes. 

As far as the issue goes, for me it took an escalation by the complaints handler to the case management team, who then escalated it to the back office who reprovisioned my account/line and finally resolved the issue. Almost 4 months since it I first reported it to O2. 

It seems this is something on their old systems they used to be able to do with the press of a button, but if your unfortunate enough to be on their new system as I was, then it has to go via this extremely convoluted method to resolve. 

Wishing you the best of luck! 

Message 233 of 263

Rodders2
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi pgn and Amyww and thank you both for your replies. 

In view of Amyww length of time, I may be being impatient. I bought my present phone on the 24th of July and following several discusins with 202 and on a number of other occasions, returning to the o2 shop and getting no results as promised, I made my complaint to the complaints resolution department on the 30th of September, so even though I wa quoted 7 days, it is just a month ago today. 

I did read somewhere, that the independent complaints organisation "Resolver" require a minimum of 8 weeks from my initial complaint, before using their service. 

Have I got this right? If so, it looks like I will have to put up with "Unknown number" on all my incoming calls until the end of October! If I have however, misunderstood, then my apologies and would therefore appreciate further advice before using the independant services of Resolver.

Many thanks, Rod

Message 234 of 263

Amyww
  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You can use resolver at any time in the complaints process, resolver will advise a minimum of 8 weeks from logging a complaint through them before your case can be escalated to the ombudsman, which may be where you’ve got the 8 weeks from. In practice however, you can escalate to the ombudsman 8 weeks from whenever you first raised the issue with O2. 

If you’ve already logged a complaint to the correct department directly with O2, a complaint made via resolver will likely end up in the same place. 

Message 235 of 263

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93321 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It would seem that the only fix for this issue is to have the account disconnected and then reconnected by customer service

Message 236 of 263

Rodders2
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you both Amyww and Jonsie for your help with this. 

I might just try calling 202 tomorrow since I'm assuming that these o2 advisors have access to my account, otherwise there's not much point in them being there!

I can then ask them if they can do that I.E. "Reprovision" (disconnect then reconnect it) my account. 

Well, I hope you agree that it's worth asking and could save a lot of time.

If not then it looks like back to my origional plan to escalate my complaint. 

My thanks once again, Rod

Message 237 of 263

Rodders2
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

RESOLVED!

Hi, just some info that might help others with this issue. First, though quite a long process, I found that the best way to get in contact with anyone who needs technical help is in my experience, not phoning 202 or indeed visiting an o2 shop since I had done both on multiple occasions. What worked for me was the on line o2 live chat where you have to get passed the auto chat in order to communicate with a human!

On my last occasion, I knew what the cause was of my no incoming caller ID. This was a CLI bolt on to my account was missing. (CLI = CALLER LINE IDENTITY.). If this is not on your account, then your incomming caller ID will not work with a message "Unknown Number" or similar.

Anyway, I was lucky in that the person on the live chat also knew about this and was able to tell me that it was not present on my acount. He was very good and added the bolt on which is free. 

My caller ID then started working the same day!

I hope this is helpful to anyone with the same issue.  

So, o2 did solve my issue in the end, and now I'm quite happy with my service!

Message 238 of 263

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 7629 Posts
  • 146 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

That's good to know @Rodders2, you were patient and that paid dividends. 

Message 239 of 263

Alastair-1
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is a very clear and understandable explanation for the problem that I also find I have having just been transitioned from Virgin Mobile to O2 in the last week. Caller display did work up until the move, then not working.

I will call the technical help and try to get them to do the necessary. I've done eveything I can including going to O2 shop and getting new (O2) Sim 'cos I was still on the previous Vrigin Mobile one, so thought that might be the problem - but NO not that!

I'll hope this knowledge will lead to a positive result 🤞

Alastair  5th Nov 2023

Message 240 of 263