cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

SerGee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi everyone! Happy that I’ve found this topic. I have a same issue on a O2 as well. Have my Ultra for a week, but just noticed today on a run that it doesn’t have a network if phone left behind.  That’s embarrassing…. Tried to restart watch, disconnected from a phone and all works, just not sure for how long. Most likely like someone said - disconnects after 10-15 mins. Well if not a run outside I would never spot this as paired with a phone or at home, with a good wi-fi it works spot on. But a thing is that I need a network on my wrist while outdoors and a phone is left home.

Hopefully O2 can sort it out ASAP. Don’t see what for we’re paying?! 

Message 31 of 233

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For the benefit of people finding this thread from Google; even though it says Ultra in the title this issue is actually impacting both the Apple Watch Series 8 and the Ultra.   I haven't seen anyone bring up the the new SE; but maybe that to?

The 8 and the Ultra share the same system on chip and modem, so it makes sense they are both impacted.

(Yes there's many other differences like improved GPS and everything else in the Ultra, but the modem is the same).

I don't know if anyone still has the previous watch (if it was an upgrade); I sadly don't as I traded my 7 in, but for an experiment it would be good to know if previous versions also impacted.

If someone kindly still has their previous watch and willing, I think it would be awesome to know for the benefit of debugging; if this is impacting the older watch models.   Should be easy to swap over the Mobile Data from one watch to another to see if its impacting 7 series or below also.   (I know right up until the 8 released, my 7 was working absolutely fine with cellular data).

@O2Ellie is it possible please to raise this further with the o2 Watch team? This issue is wide and impacting lots of your customers who are spending their time here sharing this with everyone. 

We know for a fact in the UK at least, this is impacting o2 specifically. We have multiple reports it works fine with Three (no idea about another networks, but we'll assume the same until hearing otherwise). So it is an o2 issue and I think everyone in this thread deserves better; and quite frankly the watch contract should be free until this is resolved.

Message 32 of 233

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12367 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1148 Solutions

Ellie is not down on the rota for today @snookieboy so I will mention the advisors that are.

Can you pick this up please @O2Lisa @O2Sarah- ?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 33 of 233

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @gmarkj 😊

@snookieboy I’ll message you privately and look in to this for you. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 233

Robsa
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update from me:  spoke to O2 finally, and they did a reset on my eSIM, and told me to disconnect then re-add my Ultra and then my data.  I did all of it and it has made no difference at all.  

Message 35 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

hi all, I too have an ultra and having exactly the same issue. previously had a 6 with O2 - no issues whatsoever. 

have removed and re-added the plan but makes no difference. am in the process of setting it up as a new watch to see if this makes a difference but it doesn't sound like it given what's already been posted. 

Message 36 of 233

246astralblue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, glad this topic is gathering steam, unfortunate to hear that it is also affecting series 8. What is clear is the following-at this time Apple Watch Ultra and Apple Watch series 8 owners are have no cellular connection on O2 whatsoever. Using the watch in conjunction with the phone merely uses the phone’s own connection, and makes these watches no different to their non-cellular counterparts (which is not acceptable).Testing has shown that these watches are perfectly functional on other UK networks, and this matter appears confined to the O2 network. This matter is not in end users’ hands to fix. Resetting the watch or turning it off and on again will not resolve the issue. Removing and adding back the eSIM will not resolve the issue. We have paid hundreds of pounds for these watches (and in the case of series 8 users, have specifically paid more to have cellular connectivity) and we are also paying O2 £5 or so a month for cellular connectivity we are not receiving. I hope that O2 would consider suspending charging for cellular connectivity for all users affected by this until the matter is resolved. Please can this matter be escalated within O2 and Apple, and I suggest people continue contacting both companies by all channels, including filing bug reports with Apple. We need a direct fix (likely a server fix or software update) directly from Apple and/or O2. 

Message 37 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

as I suspected, reinstall watch, re-add the plan, status - NO CONNECTION. this is disgraceful. as said above, the 5.00 should not be charged whilst this fault continues. 

Message 38 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

an update, have DM'd O2 Twitter 3 times, no response, called O2 c/s - absolute waste of time just reading from a script asking me if the watch was turned on etc...asked me to go to nearest shop

Message 39 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, for the benefit of those in this feed, yesterday, @O2Ellie has let me know that she has been asked to raise the issue with their engineers due to the numbers affected. I’ve not had anymore feedback than that, so don’t know any timescales, but I see it as positive step. This is definitely a technical issue that is not easily fixed. Out of curiosity, maybe everyone could share the following?

1. Did you transferred your O2 plan from a previous working Apple Watch? Or is it a brand new plan? I moved from an AW5. 

2. Are you able to make calls when the watch says “No connection”? I can. 

3. Has O2 removed your plan completely and re-added?

4. Have you deleted your plan via the Watch App and re-added? I have. No effect. 

5. Have you spoken to Apple support?

Thanks.

Message 40 of 233