cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

Carlos04
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, while a work I tried turning off my iPhone and waited to see if my ultra watch connected it indicated o2 and status connected. However like before i could not access the weather app status or Apple Music. I powered down my watch and restarted it. It again says o2 and status connected but this time I was able to access the weather app data and play apple radio ??

i then turned on my iPhone and let my iPhone connect to the watch. I then turned off the phone again and let the watch connect to 02. I was still able to access apple radio and weather data. The signal at work was very good. At home i did the same thing. Turned off my phone and Wi-Fi on the watch and waited for watch to connect to 02. It indicated 02 and status No connection. I turned off the watch and re-started. It then indicated 02 and status connected. Now, the only difference is that the network signal was weak and the watch dropped out after about a minute. I tested it iPhone on cellular to see if i can pull data and it had no problem. I do think the watch has a problem connecting between masts/signal strength as raised previously. Only turning the watch off and on again seems to be the only way make it work.Definitely feels like a switching refresh issue?

Message 21 of 233

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just wanted to add, having the same issue described here. I personally updated from a Watch 7 to 8 (pointless upgrade, but work pays for it) and since moving my plan from the S7 to the S8 I've been having the dreaded no connection.

Reset the watch, it works for about 10 minutes then goes again. 

To test further, my housemate who's on Three (omg the data speeds compared to o2... god knows why I haven't switched) and when he installed the plan onto my watch; it worked perfectly for a day, going for a run without a phone with me and held connection as I went for 6 miles across multiple cell towers.

Spoke to group of friends; and asked them to test with there Ultra's / 8's who are on o2; and all confirmed the cellular connection dies after 10-15 minutes and a reset solves it. They hadn't even noticed it wasn't working, because unless you go for runs or something without your phone it's not something you'd notice (more for emergencies etc).

Hate to think how many o2 customers are paying for a watch plan that doesn't work and haven't realised it yet.

How long until O2 go public? Maybe we should all hit the exec route on Apple and pressure them to remove o2 as a supported carrier because it's pretty clear they dropped the ball on the 8 / Ultra release and not owning up to it.

Message 22 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info. Interesting that it’s affecting series 8 too, and many other people.

Message 23 of 233

O2Ellie
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@Anonymous Yeah of course. I'll private message you now 😊

signature
Message 24 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the info:  “I do think the watch has a problem connecting between masts/signal strength as raised previously. Only turning the watch off and on again seems to be the only way make it work.Definitely feels like a switching refresh issue?” 
Please can you elaborate on this? What is a switching refresh issue? Why would it only work once when the Watch is switched on?

Message 25 of 233

Carlos04
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not a Cellular expert at all but in my opinion when connecting from a weak signal to a strong signal the watch does not seem to switch automatically. Only by rebooting the watch seems to break the lock cycle and enables the watch to detect and activate the revised signal enabling data. I have tested this when moving from a weak signal to a strong signal you would expect the watch to start allowing data (Apple Music/weather app) that is not the case. I had to turn the watch off and back on again for it to work. 

I’m sure someone in the know would describe it better. 

Message 26 of 233

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Ellie you can add me too! I have the same problem as well.

I can send text messages but otherwise exactly as described here - no SIM / no connection after restart.  Apple Music won’t play at all streaming.

called O2 support and was told I need a new eSIM QR code to set it up.  I tried to tell them that was not right and they kept saying ‘no it’s not a physical SIM, it’s a new 5G eSIM for your watch’… which I said was nonsense.  Had little help from O2 so far, taking an age to reply to any method of contact.

Message 27 of 233

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Mine is currently saying it’s connected to O2, but ICCID on the watch now says ‘no SIM’.  On restart it showed the SIM number, now it’s lost even though connection says it is connected.

Message 28 of 233

246astralblue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It seems this is a mass problem for Apple Watch users on O2. I believe early on in this thread, it was noted that the Apple Watch seems to work with other networks, just not with O2.I believe early on in this thread, it was noted that the Apple Watch seems to work with other networks, just not with O2. I think O2 need to speak to Apple and resolve something on the service side, or with a software update. There is no amount of turning off and on or factory resetting that will fix this problem.

Message 29 of 233

Robsa
  • 66 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep! To be honest, I’ve been thinking of leaving O2 for a while as coverage where I live is abysmal, but I’ve been with them a long, long time.  If this isn’t sorted out fast I’ll dump them and move to EE where I can enjoy 5G at 100Mbps not 4Mbps

Message 30 of 233