cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ok, my replacement watch is working. been out for a run without phone and listened to music and made a call. 

Message 91 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's great it's working, just out of interest is that with WatchOS 9.1?

Message 92 of 233

snookieboy
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another update; evening now and data signal remained connected all day

i think it’s finally fixed!

(this wasn’t a watch replacement)

Message 93 of 233

Craigellachie
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Earlier you said: “I noticed in the esim section, the network profile is now o2 v52; was previously v51”.

Where did you find this information?

When I use the Apple Watch iPhone app & go to | General | About | Network Provider, I see “O2 22.0”.

Great that it’s working for you, but a detailed summary of what you did might help others reading this thread.

Message 94 of 233

numbers912
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

was working on 9 and still still is on 9.1

Message 95 of 233

numbers912
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 25 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

However I have just noticed I appear to have 2 watch accounts with O2 now... 

Message 96 of 233

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This seems to be quite significant that there is now confirmation that the Apple Watch Ultra data is now working consistently, at least for some customers, on the O2 network and with WatchOS 9.0x and 9.1. Hopefully the problem is resolved. I wonder if it was something O2 did universally on their side that will positively affect all Apple Watch plans.

Message 97 of 233

246astralblue
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can everyone (if they’re still following) who’s spoken in this thread confirm if it’s now working for them?

Message 98 of 233

snookieboy
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry, my bad. I did nothing.

It just started working.

I did the WatchOS 9.1 update the day before, but it wasn’t working that evening and did the same behaviour. 

I woke up the next day and it started working, no changes by me. I then went to settings > general > about in the watch and saw the esim network profile was updated from v21 to v22. I didn’t push that update, so either o2 pushed an update or apple. But it was the day after WatchOS 9.1

confused myself earlier post about 51/52v; that was the phone esim not the watch.

Either way, since that profile update which did itself, it’s suddenly working.

Message 99 of 233

Craigellachie
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The problem continues for me - & I’m on my second Ultra. I’m running OS 9.1 on the Watch & iOS 16.1 on my iPhone.

Occasionally, I activate cellular on my Series 6 Watch & it works properly.

I’ve had many calls with O2 support & go through the hoops that they have had many of go through - again & again.

When talking with them again this morning, I mentioned snookieboy’s success (see above) with an updated network profile from ”o2 v51” to “o2 v52”.

Tech support had no idea what I was talking about.

I do hope that snookieboy posts details of where this information was found as I can’t see it listed anywhere in either the Watch app on the iPhone or on the Ultra (in settings) itself. Also, what tech support did.

This has become a real drag…

Message 100 of 233