cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch Ultra Disconnecting from Cellular Data and only connects again if watch is restarted

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I'm experiencing some issues with the cellular connection on an Apple Watch Ultra. The cellular data connection drops and does not come back unless the Watch is restarted. This problems occurs when using the  watch for cellular features. ie when it is not connected on a Wifi or iPhone connection. This is in an area with good 4G cellular coverage, the network coverage is not causing the problem.

The Apple Watch connects to cellular data when it's first switched on, and it works and can receive data. It says when you tap on the cellular bars:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK - 4G". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Connected.

The problem is when moving to an area of low signal, then back to the full signal area, it is impossible for the Watch to reconnect to a full signal, even when clearly back in the full signal area. 

It says when you tap on the cellular bars, even when moving back in to the 4G area:

"Mobile Data - O2 UK". And it says when on tapping the big green cellular icon: Status: Loading.

The only way to cellular data reception back is to restart the Apple Watch. This obviously resets the data connection.

I have tried all the usual remedies: Unpair and factory reset Apple Watch, Remove and re-add Apple Watch data plan in the Apple Watch App on the iPhone, switch cellular data on and off on Watch and switch flight mode on and off on Watch. However the only way it regains data reception is restarting the Apple Watch.

Message 1 of 233
232 REPLIES 232

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, from speaking with Apple, and successfully using the same Apple Watch Ultra on another network with LTE connectivity working correctly, and without the need to restart it when the signal drops and comes back, it seems to me to not be a fault with the watch or watchOS. Suspect you would have the same issue with a replacement watch, am doubtful it's a hardware fault in my case given it works on another network (and can get a LTE connection at all if not reconnect to it - it indicates the modem works). Progress update: I asked O2 to completely remove the Apple Watch plan in the hope that might fix the issue by starting a new plan. Unfortunately since then, I have been unable to set up a new plan, and currently have no cellular or call functionality on the watch as their isn't even a data plan. It now says when I try to "set up mobile service" in the Watch app on the phone and add a new plan: "Oops, something went wrong. Try again and if the problem continues call 202 for free from your O2 mobile, quoting reference code 10". Having contacting O2 this has now been referred to engineers who apparently will investigate the fault and they'll get back in touch within 5 working days with an update. Would be interested to hear about which other forums people were discussing this too and if there were any fixes. One option you could try for diagnostics is another network which worked in my case. Or you could try to update to WatchOS 9.1 Beta - but this might break the watch and comes with risks of it's own and I'm not sure if it's publicly available or not. You could try and look for connection errors in the device logs in Xcode or console but this requires quite a high degree of technical understanding and interpretation. Apple suggested this as a possibility too for them to review logs  and perhaps they have some more sophistated diagnotics tools and oviously will have better idea of how to interpret the device logs. By then I had got it working on another network so it appeared to be O2 issue. Thanks

Message 11 of 233

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10558 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

I have seen something on the Apple Forums both Consumer and Dev, and I am sure I read something on the macrumors.com forum, as well. 

I did not from Apple someone on T-Mobile is suffering the same, it might be worth posting on both of them, if you havent already done so

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 12 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, since I removed my O2 data plan and re-added, my Ultra has remained connected to cellular. That said, I’ve not yet been anywhere without my iPhone or experienced bad signal. I fully expect the problem to return when I next enter a signal blackspot. Interestingly, I did come across a person in the USA, on a Verizon forum, who described the same issue almost word for word. Their connectivity was resolved by an ESIM reset according to their comments. However that didn’t work for @mobileappz. If Apple’s update release schedule follows the pattern of previous years, we could get a minor watchOS update soon, or the full 9.1 release later this month.

Message 13 of 233

mobileappz
Level 3: Thinker
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@AnonymousInteresting, thanks for the info. Did you remove the plan entirely from the O2 account, so it's completely removed in terms of billing as well, or just remove it in the Apple Watch App on the iphone? In my case, it hasn't worked at all since O2 completely removed the Apple Watch plan and I can't set up a new plan (code 10 error). Yes it will be interesting to see if WatchOS 9.1 helps.

Message 14 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just removed the plan via the Watch app, waited 10 minutes and re-added. I also removed the inactive plan still stored on my AW5. The plan seems to survive a complete reset. But… I’m not fully convinced the issue is resolved.  Since then, I’ve not gone on a run without my iPhone and that’s when the problem occurs. I think the Ultra needs to lose signal completely in order to cause this problem. Couple of tidbits. 1. The last time the issue happened, I had no mobile data, but I could make phone calls from my Ultra. So is it maybe a data authentication issue on the O2 network, or perhaps my data session goes stale? 2. Checking connectivity through Settings > Mobile Data on the watch seems more reliable than through the watch’s Control Center. I don’t think it helps, but I appear to get less spinning circles when checking that way. 

Message 15 of 233

mobileappz
  • 35 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So is it maybe a data authentication issue on the O2 network, or perhaps my data session goes stale?

Yes this seems to be a likely cause to me. I had phone calls too but no data, after it went out of signal range and came back.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that they have a fully working robust Apple Watch Ultra Cellular Data connection on the O2 network?

Message 16 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

Years ago, when I had an iPhone 5S, I somehow got put on a non-iPhone data plan and lost mobile data for a few days. O2 resolved the issue by updating my plan on their backend. This feels similar. Like the Ultra is disconnecting from the data network and cannot connect again. I’ve considered doing a Network Settings reset on my iPhone, working on the theory that the watch is pulling through something ‘bad’ from my phone. 

Message 17 of 233

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi @O2Ellie it looks like quite a few members, @mobileappz@246astralblue@Carlos04 are all having similar issues with their Apple Watch. Could you take a look?

Message 18 of 233

O2Ellie
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @Breanna 

@mobileappz @246astralblue and @Carlos04  I will private message you all now and we can take a look in to the account. 

signature
Message 19 of 233

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @O2Ellie, please could you investigate my case too. Thanks. 

Message 20 of 233