cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Mobile coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Google results from a few years ago say that Tesco Mobile has the exact same coverage as O2 (some bulk buy discount myth).

Yesterday some O2 person cold called me (sniffing out numbers on the network?) trying to sell me a contract & told me that Tesco only has access to 1 in 4 phone masts on O2's network?

Anyone know if this is true or just an attempt to encourage a deal? I see nothing on O2/Tesco sites to suggest such a limitation.

Message 1 of 37
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Tesco is 50% owned by O2 and whilst there will be some bandwidth restrictions (usually in heavily congested areas) they will certainly not be any mast restrictions for access.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Tesco is 50% owned by O2 and whilst there will be some bandwidth restrictions (usually in heavily congested areas) they will certainly not be any mast restrictions for access.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

If your interested in Tesco Mobile you could always try out their Payg Sim Cards to test coverage where you live, work and commute.

Message 3 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

But if you're interested in 4G make sure you check the list of phones they support - there are meny they don't. You'll find a list in my posts in this thread:-

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-in-Droitwich-WR9/td-p/838079

Although titled O2 in Droitwich, you'll find it expands to Tesco layter in the thread. I'm moving from Tesco to O2 so that I can get 4G on my handset, which is 4G ready but not supported by Tesco, even though I have a 4G ready SIM only contract!!

Message 4 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous

The fact you have a 4g ready sim only contract is irrelevant if your phone does not hold the firmware / software for 4g.

If your handset doesn't have LTE capability it won't do 4g on any network.
Message 5 of 37

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous has a 4g phone Nick, but is not on Tesco's supported list - I believe 4g works fine with an o2 sim in it......

Currently using:
Message 6 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Rich. I had read the post slightly differently but now see the comment "so that I can get 4g on my handset which is 4g ready".

I won't edit though as the comment maybe useful for others in future
Message 7 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm currently already on Tesco Mobile which is why O2 somehow retrieved my phone number. If they own 50% of Tesco Mobile then I guess that explains how more likely than eavesdropping the network.

My phone doesn't support 4g & no plans to change.

I guess I'll just stick to my Tesco until I find a good EE/Virgin 1 month rolling deal to see how their network compares.

O2 was offering 500mb for £11 compared to 1g for £10.20 anyways (although with the promise of using the wifi hotspots).

Anyone have an opinion on the quality/reach/usefulness of the hotspots? Is it going to have to reconnect every 100m walking as I change points or they're larger areas?

Message 8 of 37

MI5
  • 144144 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I always struggle with O2 wifi hotspots so I use BT ones mostly.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 37

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

But if you're interested in 4G make sure you check the list of phones they support - there are meny they don't. You'll find a list in my posts in this thread:-

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-in-Droitwich-WR9/td-p/838079

Although titled O2 in Droitwich, you'll find it expands to Tesco layter in the thread. I'm moving from Tesco to O2 so that I can get 4G on my handset, which is 4G ready but not supported by Tesco, even though I have a 4G ready SIM only contract!!

The list you supplied in the other thread relating to phones supported by Tesco for 4G is incorrect, or at the least, incomplete. I am on Tesco Mobile and I have a Motorola Razr HD,which was bought sim free, and which works absolutely fine on Tesco 4G. Where did you get that list from?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 37