cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Mobile coverage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Google results from a few years ago say that Tesco Mobile has the exact same coverage as O2 (some bulk buy discount myth).

Yesterday some O2 person cold called me (sniffing out numbers on the network?) trying to sell me a contract & told me that Tesco only has access to 1 in 4 phone masts on O2's network?

Anyone know if this is true or just an attempt to encourage a deal? I see nothing on O2/Tesco sites to suggest such a limitation.

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Tesco have never sold my phone. I do agree that it's odd that your phone won't give you 4G with a Tesco sim, because if it's 4G ready it should.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 21 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous are you sure you have a 4g sim?

Does the sim serial number start with "4ggp"?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 37

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

This also doesn't make any sense with what @Anonymous said:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/lg-g3-metallic-black/321-1767.prd

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 23 of 37

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I think the sim card could be the problem.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I bet @Anonymous  is frantically checking his sim card as we speak wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 25 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous are you sure you have a 4g sim?

Does the sim serial number start with "4ggp"?

Yes I'm sure it's a 4G SIM.

Look - I'm going to sign off off this thread now as it's going round in circles but before I do - I attach below a transcript from  my online chat with Tesco where they confirm they don't support the LG G3 on their 4G network, along with the transcript of my online chat with LG support who confirm that they know this is the case. I've also posted somewhere above the comment from the Tesvo high level complaint team where they say they are investigating why they don't support the phone.

The phone is 4G and gets 4G with an O2 SIM in it - and as I've just experimented using my son's services - it gets 4G with an EE SIM in it. Why Tesco block it (and others) I have no idea. There is nothing wrong with my phone - there is everything wrong with the Tesco 4G network!!!!!!!!!

Please find a copy of your chat content below.

General Info
Chat start time  Jan 12, 2015 6:45:28 AM EST
Chat end time  Jan 12, 2015 7:29:55 AM EST
Duration (actual chatting time)  00:44:27
Operator  

Chat Transcript

info: Welcome to Tesco Mobile live chat. Someone will start chatting with you soon.    
info: We're really busy right now. Thanks for waiting.    
info: You're through to.    
: Hi I'm. How can I help?
: Hi, I have a SIM only contract with Tesco. Where I live 4G has recently been introduced where I live, but my phone doesn't seem to connect to 4G at all. I have an LG-G3 which is quite capable, but looking in the settings, it shows only GSM/WCDMA (2G/3G) as the network mode. There is no option for LTE (which I believe is 4G). I thought I got 4G within my contract - is there something I have to do to get it 'switched on'?? Mike
: I'll help you with this.
: OK thanks.
info: We'll email a copy of your chat transcript to (removed).  
: For 4 G few things are required. 1st- 4G compatible handset, 2nd- 4G SIM card, 3rd- 4 G coverage 4th- 4 G data bundle 5th- Active 4 G services on the account. On your account everything is there except 4 G compatible handset.
: But the LG-G3 is 4G compatible as I understand it. It certainly says in the handbook that it is - and every search I do says that it is......
: So I'll check your account for 4g if 4G is added or not.
: Thanks
: My pleasure.
: Can you please tell me your full name and date of birth?
: Sure. It's (removed)
: Thanks.
: Can you please tell me the answer to your security question? It's the one you use when you call in.
: (removed)
: Question:   Mothers maiden name?
: (removed)
: Thanks. Please give me a few minutes and I'll just have a look.
: Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
: You're most welcome.
: Thanks for waiting.
: I've checked this for you and I can see 4G services already added in your account, and your phone is also 4G phone.
: So why can't I get 4G? s I say the Network mode only shows options for GSM, WCDMA or HSM/WCDMA Auto. There is no sign of LTE which is needed for 4G. As I understand it, this functionality is taken from the SIM card?
: Sorry, For HSM/WCDMA rear GSM/WCDMA
: I'll check settings for you.
: Many thanks
: My pleasure..
: Can I get your post code please?
:  My wife has a Sony Experia Z Ultra and she gets 4G - and shows LTE under the Network Mode in settings, so I know 4G is available here.
 Thanks.
: Seems to me that the fact there is no LTE available within the Network Mode is the issue ??? The phone was sourced in the UK (GiffGaff) and has the EUR software version
: Can you pleas tell me which version you are using?
: Software version*
: V20f-EUR-XX
: Android 5 (Lollipop)
: Thanks.
: I've checked with our support team and LG G3n handset is not compatible with Tesco network, that's why 4G is not working in your phone.
: Sorry, but I don't understand. How can one of the most up to date and advanced handsets no be compatible with the Tesco network?
: I agree with you however iPhone5, iPhone4 and LG G3 are not compatible with our network.
: But surely Tesco use O2 - and it's compatible with O2. It was purchased (SIM free) from GiffGaff who also use the O2 network - and it works there. I'd just like to understand if I can
: we share the network with O2 however both are different service providers.
: Are there any plans to enable the LG G3 to be compatible with the Tesco network? I ask as I was thinking of moving to EE after a long outage in the area, but changed my mind this morning - maybe I need to change it back again!!?????
: I can't comment on that however I can only forward your feedback so we can enable 4G in these handsets.
: And hope it'll enable soon.
: I'm sorry for the trouble, I wish I could do this for you.
: OK . I've been having an email exchange with Emma in Tesco Customer Care after I'd emailed the CEO regarding the outage. I'll ask if there is anything that can be done to enable these handsets - if not I'll have to move. Thanks anyway.
: Have a good day
: You too.

General Info
Chat Start Time: 1/12/15 2:49 PM
Chat End Time: 1/12/15 3:01 PM
Chat URL: http://www.lg.com/uk/support/contact-customer-support
Referer URL: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/LG-G3-and-GiffGaff-4G/m-p/15806508/highlight/false
Name:  
Email: (removed)
Operator Chat Name: LG Mobile Phone Support

Chat Transcript

02:50:22 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] Good afternoon you're through to

Following this chat there is a short survey that will allow you to rate me personally today and the service I have provided. We appreciate all feedback given. How can I help you today
02:50:38 PM [] Hello there,
02:52:57 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] Hello, how can I help?
02:53:01 PM [] I have an LG G3 which I purchased in October last year from GiffGaff (SIMfree). I use my Tesco SIM in this. Recently the networks in this area were upgraded and 4G became available. My wife has an O2 contract and gets 4G. I have a Tesco contract (they use O2) and can't get 4G. Tesco tell me that their network doesn't support the LG G3 for 4G. Is this true or is it a hardware issue?
02:53:27 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] This is true, they do not support it
02:53:44 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] They are what is called a virtual network
02:54:33 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] They just purchase air time from in bulk
02:54:59 PM [] Is there anything I can do (other than keep pestering Tesco)?
02:55:38 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] It would be up to Tesco to approach manufacturers
02:57:08 PM [] Thanks anyway. I think I'll move contracts and go to EE. Do you know if they have an issue with the LG G3 ??
02:57:37 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] I think they can offer 4G on the handset
02:58:09 PM [LG Mobile Phone Support] Try an O2 SIM card
02:58:40 PM [] You've been very helpful and I thank you. Have a great afternoon/evening. I will try my wife's O2 card this evening and see if that works. If it does then that's the answer!!

Message 26 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi...thanks for all that @Anonymous  but can you remove all of your personal details form that transcript please...For your own benefit of course

EDIT I see you have now removed most of them but your email address is still there?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi...thanks for all that @Anonymous  but can you remove all of your personal details form that transcript please...For your own benefit of course

Realised my error and did as you suggest whilst you were responding. Thanks.

Message 28 of 37

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I know someone with a G3 so I'll see if I can get them to try a Tesco sim as I think that is all bull......

ps you might want to edit out your personal details/passwords etc as someone could do inappropriate things with your account!!

Edit as I see it's done now.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 37

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Realised my error and did as you suggest whilst you were responding. Thanks.

Snap....and you have since done your email address so all good now...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 37