Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying with O2 - PAYG to Pay Monthly

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Although I have decided to stay with O2 and not switch to Giff Gaff I am still swaying towards switching from PAYG to Pay Monthly. I have looked online at the tariffs and I can't decide which one is best.
I use my phone mostly for texts and data. Currently I'm on the 4G Pay and Go Go Go tariff for £15 per month. I am looking for a tariff for a similar price for the same or possibly more allowance.
I like the idea of Pay Monthly as I'd like to use Tugo and I'd like to have a personal hotspot/tethering for my iPad. I know that the iPad uses a lot of data so I need a tariff with at least 1GB of data allowance.
Has anyone got any advice on which would be best?
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries your welcome slight_smile
Message 11 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

As there is an intention to tether then GiffGaff unlimited (3g) would not bean option. It would be worth checking if Lyca Mobile unlimited (4) one month sim only includes tethering or not. 

That way Gemma can test out the bandwidth in her area to make sure it meets her needs.

Note Lyca offer only currently available during April

Message 12 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Piperdog123 wrote "As there is an intention to tether then either GiffGaff unlimited (3g) or Lyca Mobile unlimited (4) one month sim only would be my suggestion."

GiffGaff don't allow tethering on their unlimited data plans @Anonymous
Message 13 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wasn't sure. Gemma was checking that out.
Message 14 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
The £10 goody bag with 1Gb data allows tethering.
Message 15 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
For clarity I have just checked GiffGaff's website and bandofbrothers is absolutely correct on the £12 goody bag with unlimited data tethering is NOT permitted
Message 16 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
To clarify the clarity, tethering IS allowed on any of their data limited goodybags & gigabags, just NOT on any that offer unlimited data.
It's also worth mentioning that there are NO hidden data caps either as long as the data is been used on "mobile" on a mobile device....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 17 of 30

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I understand what you are all saying, but I have seen my friends account and I know that she has the £12 goody bag which has unlimited data and she can create a hot spot for other people to use her internet.  How is that possible if you are saying that it cannot be done?

Message 18 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions
giffgaff use an automatic detection system for tethering. If the system believes you are, it will cut off your data for 30 mins and send you a warning.
on some phones it is still possible to set up the hotspot and tether but the system will detect it if you start to use more data than it thinks is normal.
if you have an iPhone you also need to jailbreak and use a tethering app as apple don't recognise gg as a carrier so there is no specific carrier profile to enable it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 19 of 30

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hmmmm ok I understand what you are saying.

My friend has done this for a while though so I will give her a heads up and tell her that she's not supposed to do it.

Message 20 of 30