cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone trying to fraudulently steal my account and phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable
A while back I got a random text saying "thank you for changing your security question and answer" odd, I never called them or tried to change it... life got busy and I forgot about it.

Then today "thank you for trying to unlatch your device, unfortunately we cannot" odd again... I never tried to such a thing.

I even had an text from o2 saying they are suspecious and reset my account password...

This is shocking how easy it is for anyone to fool o2 customer service, I've not called them and never needed to...

Is there some way I can get o2 to sort this, what number will take me to the best department?

Or am I ******ed and need to change provider? I have a lot of one time passwords directing to this device...
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Cross that possibility off the list then !.......you didn't mention any timeline until now.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Beenherebefore sorry, a timeline in my OP would have been helpful.

I did do a ton of house cleaning and throwing stuff away (avoiding moving clutter to new house) which I did almost 2 months ago, it feels a bit surreal to think someone dig through trash to get one of my o2 letters, the only other thing is there is enough data on the web to possibly piece things together about me, or some data leak maybe. Who knows and maybe once I phone o2 they can tell me via records what the fraudster tried to use.

My only worry is my one time passwords being hijacked if my phone number some how gets transferred to a new sim (heard stories about this), my bank uses one time password via text..
Message 12 of 19

jonsie
  • 94024 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Can I suggest you get a new shredder as soon as possible. Get a copy of your Credit File too and make sure there is nothing of concern on there. I know you have a new house and your lenders will have needed to access your file but better to be safe....

Message 13 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Your sim cannot be transferred without someone passing security which they are failing at currently.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I guess when you notify O2 Fraud Dept. then your account would be closely watched for any other attempts...........at least I hope that's how it should work
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
As an update, called this morning. The woman on the phone saw the attempt of unlatching the device but it could not be done as it was a "third-party" that did it, she asked if I share the account (I do not) and suggested that someone phoned up stating they share the account with me. They failed security checks the second time and she said she does not know how they managed to do it the first time to be able to change my security question and answer, however that first that she said the call was "dropped" which means the caller hung up unexpectedly, after this I got a text from o2 saying they were suspecious, so the first time the caller also failed further checks...

They have not put a "flag" on my account which states no third party can ever call up about my account and only calling from my number can access the account, I love o2 and have no intention of leaving so this is fine.

From now on I will have to keep an eye on it, my question/answer is random letters so impossible to guess and time to buy a shredder to rule out any paperwork!
Message 16 of 19

MI5
  • 149468 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions
Sounds good and hopefully sorted now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 17 of 19

jonsie
  • 94024 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
Message 18 of 19

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Sounds like that's all sorted @Anonymous! Please let us know if you have any more questions or anything further happens wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 19 of 19