cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone trying to fraudulently steal my account and phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable
A while back I got a random text saying "thank you for changing your security question and answer" odd, I never called them or tried to change it... life got busy and I forgot about it.

Then today "thank you for trying to unlatch your device, unfortunately we cannot" odd again... I never tried to such a thing.

I even had an text from o2 saying they are suspecious and reset my account password...

This is shocking how easy it is for anyone to fool o2 customer service, I've not called them and never needed to...

Is there some way I can get o2 to sort this, what number will take me to the best department?

Or am I ******ed and need to change provider? I have a lot of one time passwords directing to this device...
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You must contact customer services with your information and ask if they can investigate a possible fraud.....https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You must contact customer services with your information and ask if they can investigate a possible fraud.....https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd suggest you log into your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2 and change your password and security question immediately.
Whilst in there, also check your recent orders to see if someone tried to order anything.
Hopefully this just may be an error in that someone has entered their number wrongly, but certainly safest to check asap.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Then today "thank you for trying to unlatch your device, unfortunately we cannot" odd again... I never tried to such a thing.

I even had an text from o2 saying they are suspecious and reset my account password...

But surely that indicates the security process has worked as it was intended......for once.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@beenherebeforr possible but I assumed it failed because of contract reasons? I haven't paid off the phone or anything so they wouldn't be able to unlock it

I don't think it's a wrong number as someone would need the same name, dob, address etc all the usual security checks. My assumption is I threw out some bill and it's been grabbed.

When I got the text regarding failure to unlatch it said it would email me to explain, I've received no such email so they likely emailed the scammer and not my account.

Fortunately I'm moving house in 2 weeks so my address will change and maybe that will help.

I tried live chat but it keeps disconnecting half way through a conversation, super annoying done it twice now, so I will try call in the morning
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Your phone can be unlocked at anytime so not paying it off is no reason for refusal.
Failing to pass security checks though are a reason for refusal, so it does appear that the process is working to some degree.
Hopefully you have changed your password and security question by now to limit the possible effects of this?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 19

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Fortunately I'm moving house in 2 weeks so my address will change and maybe that will help.

So your personal data has been highlighted to a few people/companies over the last couple of months ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 that is good to know, if they failed security checks then hopefully things will be good, and if I change my address and take more care with deposed bills (only thing I can think off) it should help as well.

I will call support in morning and see what they say, I'm curious as to what stuff the fraudster has tried to do!
Message 8 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It's all very worrying and certainly needs investigating by O2's Fraud dept...:smileysad:

LIve chat wouldn't be the option I would choose in this instance @Anonymous. You need to speak to someone directly.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Beenherebefore I'm not sure what you mean? I got my first alert regarding account compromise (account security question was changed by the fraudster) on Augusts 28. I went through a estate agent a week later for the new house
Message 10 of 19