cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling of customers Data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I switched from PAYG to pay monthly due to it being slightly cheaper.

But I am utterly astounded how quick O2 are in selling your details, as no sooner than I had my phone all set up and fiddling around with the settings trying to get to grips with it, but lo and behold the first unsolicited telemarketer trying to flog useless phone insurance made their call.

This was blocked, and I thought nothing more of it, until today when the same clown outfit rang from a different number unfortunately I didn't get to it in time, so rang the number back, and spoke to a reasonably pleasent chap, but clearly reading from the script. Informed me that he can give me cheaper phone insurance than the one I bought in the shop?

Two problems there, firstly, I never buy pointless warranties or insurance on products, my statutory rights far exceed any lame insurance or warranty that might claim to cover the product, failing that I have my contents insurance which covers my mobile phone anyway.

Secondly, this was all purchased over the internet, never once went into the shop, hence why I knew he was reading from a script.

I would like to know exactly where in the T&C's it says that I give my express permission for O2 to sell my data to a third party in order to profit from my purchase?

I would like to hear the explanation O2, and I would like to see the evidence with my own eyes also!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
"Unfortunately I disagree.
The selling of customers data is a known method of companies earning profit."

No ones disagreeing with you there my friend. I'm just sceptical O2 would sell it to a company of competing products.

I get shed loads off PPI, debt consolidation and loan agreements spam both calls/txts. Imagine some of it is O2 passing on my details but not all of it unfortunatly.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 11 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93220 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I'm not saying O2 actually sell details on but I know for fact that CPW had access to my details when I had no previous dealings with them.

I bought a bluetooth for my son a couple of years back. When I went to pay they asked me my mobile number and my name and address and contract details came up on the screen....only one data base that could have come from.

Never dealt with thm since and asked that all my details be expunged from their records but it's a fairly safe bet they haven't. I'm not that fussed but I won't ever deal with them again on principle.

Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats hopefully what I'm going to find out. I've lodged a formal complaint with O2, if after 8 weeks I'm no nearer a resolution, then I'll hand it over to the ICO to look into. Keep sending those spam texts to that number too, ruddy bleeders!
Message 13 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I believe there should be a national database of who has your data. It should be included within the data protection act.

I imagine there's a fair few companies with my details who I'd prefere didn't have it considering my rather private nature:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 20

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Thats hopefully what I'm going to find out. I've lodged a formal complaint with O2, if after 8 weeks I'm no nearer a resolution, then I'll hand it over to the ICO to look into. Keep sending those spam texts to that number too, ruddy bleeders!

It might help to read through their Privacy Policy at the bottom of the home page.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 20

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Our so-called "private data" is for sale in the common market. I mean take these PPI reclaim firms, how can they possible claim your money on your behalf with little or no intervention from you.

The DPA is a waste of time as long as you are willing to pay for information, you can get any information within reason.

Another thing I find amusing is, is when foreign call centres call me to tell me I have a virus on my PC. Apparently OpenSUSE is a deadly virus and I should pay some stranger £40 a year to pay for a Remote Access program.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 16 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
OpenSUSE is a virus I've been paying for months to keep it at bay:)

So lucky they called me about it, would never of known otherwise:(
Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

sure its annoying but if you block or complain about one "company" & get that number blocked, they will still send you the texts via other mobile numbers they use for this sort of thing

Message 18 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you give me your postcodes are can have your details and everybody else in the area by tomorrow evening. 

It happens we just have all take care where and who we give our details too and opt out where possible. 

Bank companies and even companies like Experian pass on to some thrid parties unless you choose otherwise.

Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

experian is a prime example

Message 20 of 20