cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling of customers Data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I switched from PAYG to pay monthly due to it being slightly cheaper.

But I am utterly astounded how quick O2 are in selling your details, as no sooner than I had my phone all set up and fiddling around with the settings trying to get to grips with it, but lo and behold the first unsolicited telemarketer trying to flog useless phone insurance made their call.

This was blocked, and I thought nothing more of it, until today when the same clown outfit rang from a different number unfortunately I didn't get to it in time, so rang the number back, and spoke to a reasonably pleasent chap, but clearly reading from the script. Informed me that he can give me cheaper phone insurance than the one I bought in the shop?

Two problems there, firstly, I never buy pointless warranties or insurance on products, my statutory rights far exceed any lame insurance or warranty that might claim to cover the product, failing that I have my contents insurance which covers my mobile phone anyway.

Secondly, this was all purchased over the internet, never once went into the shop, hence why I knew he was reading from a script.

I would like to know exactly where in the T&C's it says that I give my express permission for O2 to sell my data to a third party in order to profit from my purchase?

I would like to hear the explanation O2, and I would like to see the evidence with my own eyes also!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Highly unlikely that O2 sell on customers details, new mobile numbers are issued in large batches and with some pc software they call all the newly issued numbers on spec until they get a bite.

It's been going on for years.

Text messages can be forwarded to 7726.

Registering your number here can help reduce nuisance calls:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

With regard to any marketing directly from O2 you can opt in or out in MyO2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 20

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Out of pure interest would this company selling insurance to you be carphone warehouse?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

autodiallers use unlimited text sim & top up £10, then once that has all gone, they use a different sim with a new number

Message 4 of 20

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Lifted from the T&C's...

21.4 You also agree to the information described in paragraph 21.3 being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in paragraph 21.3 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your Mobile Phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website.

ewan

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

No it is a company claiming to be 'Protect your world Ltd' who in actual fact are Phone4less.

Message 6 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Never heard of them. Rather wierd
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 20

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Lets be honest though its unlikely O2 would sell your details to a company who offers competing products(insurance)

Stuart is most likely correct.
Message 8 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I disagree.

The selling of customers data is a known method of companies earning profit.

If in the previous 4 years of using a PAYG sim, with O2, and having no unsolicited calls or texts, then when I switch to a pay monthly sim, it is very clear that my number was sold by O2 to a third party as I am now inundated with puerile unsolicited calls for pointless insurance no-one needs.

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I've heard of protect your bubble, and even if you try and search their name "Protect your world ltd" it comes up with zilch, a quick search of their company registration number on the companies house register flags them up as being Phone4less.
Message 10 of 20