cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail is off but still receiving empty nuisance messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

About 3 months ago I started receiving texts informing me I had voicemail but each time I ring 901 I hear what sounds like the last half of a word and then recorded voice saying "If this is you, press 1 etc, if this is not you press 3 etc. This can happen 5 times a day, it is always the same sound I hear and I never have any missed calls so somehow the caller is going straight to VM.  In desperation I have started turning my voicemail off each day but lately that has had no effect and I am still receiving the same voicemails. How??  (Voicemail is definitely off because I tested it by ringing from landline). 

I have spoken to o2 online with no help other than being told how to change my pin which did not seem relevant as I had never needed to use my pin. Have called into two o2 shops only to be met with puzzled looks and advised to ring 202 (customer services).  I did that and a gentleman went through a lengthy process with me and ended by telling me he had done a complete reset of my voicemail.  Sadly, the problem has not gone away and am hoping someone on here can help.... please.

I presume it is some form of spam but how can it bypass the call function and more worryingly how do they end up in voicemail when it's turned off?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Any number given?

I would set a pin even if you don't use it much as everyone knows the network default one.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for quick response.

I do have my own pin but cannot recall ever needing to use it - apart from during my last call to customer services. I certainly never used it to access voicemail service messages. 

There is no number given so no way of tracking where the messages are coming from.   Seriously thinking of changing provider so I can leave o2 voicemail completely which is a shame as I have been with o2 since mobiles were invented.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if changing your service provider will make much difference 

Companies can actually phone direct to your voicemail these days with out the need for the phone even ringing. 

Message 4 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's certainly a strange one. You only really need the pin to access voicemail from a landline.

I can only see it being a system error but if O2 have reset the mailbox I can't understand how messages are getting through when voicemail is switched off.

Try calling the short code ##002# which is the short code to cancel all diverts.

Message 5 of 6

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If all else fails ask O2 to stop and restart your connection.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 6