Did you mean: 

Refresh and upgrading.

AnnieRiver
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

It's nearly time for me to upgrade on my 'normal' 24 month contract which I habitually do to get a nice, new, shiny phone. However, logging in to my account I see that I have the option of changing to a 'Refresh' contract and although I've read a lot of the information I still can't work out if it would be advantageous for me. 

Will I still be able to upgrade my phone, whichever phone I choose on Refresh, at the end of a certain period of time as I do now. ie choose a phone (always one with no up front fee) and simply carry on? Or would I be stuck with the phone I took out, as I thought I read that you can only upgrade like this with certain phones on Refresh? I'm going all googly eyed trying to find the exact info. 

Any clarity would be gratefully received

Thanks!

AnnieRiver

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @AnnieRiver

Check out how Refresh works https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

You will be able to upgrade after 12 months (or when you pay the device plan off

If you want a new handset or device at any point throughout your minimum term then all you have to do to upgrade is to pay off the remainder of the total cost of your handset or device in full then you can choose a new device & tariff of your choosing then you will start a new 24 month cycle.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @AnnieRiver

Check out how Refresh works https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

You will be able to upgrade after 12 months (or when you pay the device plan off

If you want a new handset or device at any point throughout your minimum term then all you have to do to upgrade is to pay off the remainder of the total cost of your handset or device in full then you can choose a new device & tariff of your choosing then you will start a new 24 month cycle.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The only difference with refresh is that it allows you to upgrade whenever you want to by buying your device outright at any time. You can still choose to leave it for 24 months or do or earlier if you wish to.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also you normally do have to pay an upfront cost. I have on all of my previous Refresh contracts. I’ve not seen any no upfront ones yet unless your looking at older phones
Message 4 of 15

AnnieRiver
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi and thank you both but its this bit that has confused me...this is what's written in the 'Offers Explained' section. Is this a different upgrade then? Sorry I'm being a bit dozey!

WHAT IS OUR YEARLY UPGRADE PROGRAMME AND WHICH PHONES AND TARIFFS CAN I GET IT WITH

With selected phones and tariffs, we’ll upgrade your phone after 12 months, on us. So you don’t have to miss out on the latest phone.

You can get it when you buy a new Samsung Galaxy S9, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus, on one of our 20GB or more O2 Refresh tariffs.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnnieRiver You can only get it on those particular phones & expensive tariffs & unless someone knows more, I think you have to either give back the old phone or use it to pay off the current device plan 

Message 6 of 15

AnnieRiver
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you lovemyphone. It all sounds a bit fiddly to me if I'm honest and I've just read that there has to be a credit check for your first refresh which will mess with your credit score too. At least with what I've got I know upgrading is just a really simple process. confused

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnnieRiver If you are starting a new contract then yes you will need a credit check but if it’s an upgrade then no need for a credit check. Hope it works out for you, whichever way you decide 

Message 8 of 15

AnnieRiver
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well they are calling it an upgrade but I would be switching from an Airtime contract to a Refresh contract so I'm not sure....!

x
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnnieRiver As explained in my guide linked above, the Refresh contract is split into 2 parts, the device plan where you are paying a set amount for the device then the airtime plan which is your chosen tariff which you also pay a set amount for. A standard 24 month contract is where you are paying a lump sum each month for everything in one. On Refresh your airtime bill is generated on a set date each month then the device plan is paid 14 days later 

Message 10 of 15