Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor signal at certain times of day

Georgeee1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Every day at about 5pm onwards my signal drops and calls frequently drop out. Rest of the day 3 bars and calls just about ok, but not always - signal often goes up and down like a yo-yo during the day, too.

Partner on Vodafone, never any probs. I used to be on Vodafone and had no probs, she used to be on O2 and was always complaining. (Our respective employers coincidentally switched their contracts within a few months of each other.)

Today while talking to O2 CS re another complaint I mentioned this and was advised (as I always expected) that it was probably a time of day thing as lots of people get home around now and too much activity/demand for the local mast. But when I pointed out the O2/Vodafone difference, I was also then told that it should make no difference re O2 vs. Vodafone due to mast sharing.

Hmm. I thought it was shared pointy sticky up physical thing, but each company hoisted its own transmitter on said mast - so the 'no difference' line I was being spun would be plain wrong. Or am I wrong - in which case if it IS shared transmitters, does it imply that Vodafone (who apparently manage my local mast) are favouring their clients over O2's, somehow.

And O2 persistently claim there is a good signal here, but if 'signal' is a function of bandwidth demand at certain times of day (and it is never better than 3 bars) how can they get away with claiming it is a 'good' signal in general when at times of increased usage I cannot get more than one bar or even have no service far too often, and calls drop out late afternoon/early evening, even if I can get a service?

Are we supposed to treat this as acceptable? Why can't O2 increase whatever needs increasing (transmitter capacity, backhaul, whatever) on the local mast to cope with something closer to peak demand (and also improve my signal during the day, too)?

If I ever get my own personal mobile, guess who won't be getting my business?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Simple fact is that not all networks provide a banging signal everywhere. Even off the same mast, as you have discovered, signal varies.
The reverse is true in my home location - 1 bar of 3g on voda but 4 bars 4g on o2 and again, a shared mast.
First consideration when choosing a network should always be the signal level in the places you live, work or frequent the most.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Simple fact is that not all networks provide a banging signal everywhere. Even off the same mast, as you have discovered, signal varies.
The reverse is true in my home location - 1 bar of 3g on voda but 4 bars 4g on o2 and again, a shared mast.
First consideration when choosing a network should always be the signal level in the places you live, work or frequent the most.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same thing happens to me it's peak times when people are calling texting etc and uses up space on cell sites so signal will drop out or be a bit poor, same as home wifi at peak times your service may slow down a little because of amount of users that will be using the service, that's all
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 most masts are shared due to MVNO'S

Message 4 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 most masts are shared due to MVNO'S

Not actually "sharing" in that scenario and not what the OP is talking about either.

Look up "Cornerstone" to understand.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/43941/vodafone-and-o2-restructuring-cornerstone.aspx

Currently using:
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mi5 I am a qualified it network engineer I have a lot of knoelage and experience in this sector and that is hands on not reading text book
Message 6 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm a nuclear scientist, what's your point?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why are you willy waving why can't you just accept that someone may have a bit more knowlage and leave it at that rather then being a spoilt child and acting like one
Message 8 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm happy to take lessons from anyone but I prefer those who can spell correctly.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

right okay so because I am dislixeit your going to have a pop at me for that as well are you?? you must be a cyber bully then! 

Message 10 of 23