Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Topics: 758

Re: Paying hidden VAT charges on my contract?? Very misleading - cannot be legal?

@Anonymous wrote:
This is a terrible practise!

Is this an O2 thing, or do all companies do the same? If so I will try and request a cancellation as this is a joke!

I have never, ever paid for something in the UK, and then to have a hidden charge slapped on the end of it, it just seems to apply to 'contracts'? This isn't USA, where you can go into any shop, see a price, pay at the counter, and then VAT is attached.

I have to agree, it does come across as a hidden charge. I did mean to include the US practice of adding vat at checkout..... but this is the UK.

I would not go into a shop to buy a new washing machine at the price advertised and then find they slapped Vat on it when I flourished my debit card to pay........

I thought I was a pretty savvy shopper...Smiley Sad

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Anonymous

Re: Paying hidden VAT charges on my contract?? Very misleading - cannot be legal?

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
This is a terrible practise!

Is this an O2 thing, or do all companies do the same? If so I will try and request a cancellation as this is a joke!

I have never, ever paid for something in the UK, and then to have a hidden charge slapped on the end of it, it just seems to apply to 'contracts'? This isn't USA, where you can go into any shop, see a price, pay at the counter, and then VAT is attached.

I have to agree, it does come across as a hidden charge. I did mean to include the US practice of adding vat at checkout..... but this is the UK.

I would not go into a shop to buy a new washing machine at the price advertised and then find they slapped Vat on it when I flourished my debit card to pay........

I thought I was a pretty savvy shopper...Smiley Sad

It definitely is a hidden charge though, as this is not a normal practise in the slightest.  I would love to call up O2 again and see what they can do but as they run off a script I doubt they will be any more help than the useless guy this morning.

Topics: 577
Solutions: 4,096

Your next bill will be for £33 including vat dependent on

1. You are not a business customer

2. You have stayed within your allowance without sending picture messages or calling 0800, 0845 and 0870 numbers and other regionalised numbers not covered by your allowance.

Anonymous

right, as mentioned on all above posts , all prices are advertised including vat, but on the bill it will show all charges exluding vat and then the vat is add.

So for example a £33.00 per month deal will be £33.00 including vat, but on the bill in will show 26.4 line rental + 6.60 vat - total 33.00

But I wish I could see the description on tariffs, can u do a print screen?I've just done a calculation but need to see tariff and minutes, can u make a print screen of those please?

Anonymous

@jonsie wrote:

Your next bill will be for £33 including vat dependent on

1. You are not a business customer

2. You have stayed within your allowance without sending picture messages or calling 0800, 0845 and 0870 numbers and other regionalised numbers not covered by your allowance.

£33 including VAT means, £33 right.  Not £33, + 20%?

Can anyone confirm is this is an O2 thing, or do all companies do the same?

I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer...£33 including vat.

All companies charging vat have to show charge before vat, vat and the total of both...now I give up Smiley Wink

Anonymous

I think I know how to explain it but need some inf of the tariff description and  the minutes option...

Topics: 758

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer...£33 including vat.

All companies charging vat have to show charge before vat, vat and the total of both...now I give up Smiley Wink

Oh don't do that @jonsie I was learning from all this....Smiley Very Happy

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

right, as mentioned on all above posts , all prices are advertised including vat, but on the bill it will show all charges exluding vat and then the vat is add.

So for example a £33.00 per month deal will be £33.00 including vat, but on the bill in will show 26.4 line rental + 6.60 vat - total 33.00

But I wish I could see the description on tariffs, can u do a print screen?I've just done a calculation but need to see tariff and minutes, can u make a print screen of those please?

I have screen grabbed everything I have - my O2 contract email which states unlimited Mins, Texts and 1GB Data, and my latest MYO2 statement.  Is there something else to look for?

I have attached the Tariff screenshot from my O2.

myo22.jpg