cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying hidden VAT charges on my contract?? Very misleading - cannot be legal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This cannot be legal... At no point did anyone say to me when I took out a iPhone 6 contract, that I would be paying nearer £40 than the £33 that I signed a contract for!

Look at the documents I have received and tell me where, anywhere, it says that this hidden VAT charge is being added.

I have called O2 directly this morning as soon as I received the ridiculous statement - he was horrendously unhelpful.  Just told me to 'go instore and sort it out' - I am not going out of my way, paying train fare/parking, to sort out O2's misleading contract details.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer...£33 including vat.

All companies charging vat have to show charge before vat, vat and the total of both...now I give up wink

I was not told, when I signed the contract, the price of contract before VAT, VAT, and the total of both.  I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer.

Message 21 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Check online via My O2 not through the app. Check if you have 2 billing period, one for a couple of days and one for a full month in advance.

Message 22 of 47

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I was not told, when I signed the contract, the price of contract before VAT, VAT, and the total of both.  I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer.

For purposes of a sale you would have been quoted the total of both which is £33

Showing the breakdown is a legal requirement on a vat invoice which is what your O2 bill is.

Have you checked online yet?

Message 23 of 47

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The bill you have got is:
From date of sim activation and delivery of phone to date of bill issue. + the standard line rental 1 month in advance.
Always at a rate of £33 per calendar month.
Your tariff you signed up for is £33 pm including vat and the only time it will be above that is when they put the price up in line with rpi in Feb.
Message 24 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

jonsie wrote:

R55Clubman wrote:

For purposes of a sale you would have been quoted the total of both which is £33

Showing the breakdown is a legal requirement on a vat invoice which is what your O2 bill is.

Have you checked online yet?

That makes sense, both, combined to make £33... I just still don't understand the rest.

I have added some details from MYO2 website.  Let me know if there is anywhere else I could be looking.

myo23.jpg

Message 25 of 47

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It's obvious from that, that what @jonsie  has been trying to explain is correct - you have been charged a aprt month from the start of your tariff untill your billing date and then the next month in advance. Your next bill will be from 4th nov to 3rd Dec and will just be £33 + any usage outside your allowances.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 26 of 47

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Right, that does explain it...

You were given a refund on the unused part of your previous contract and that part was charged at your new tariff

18th Sept to 3rd Oct. So a difference of £7.36 to be added on to your month in advance 4th Oct to 3rd Nov of £27.50. Vat is then added on to that total for purposes of the invoice.

Your next invoice will be

O2 Unlimited 24M 1GB 4G  4th Nov to 3rd Dec £27.50 to which 20% vat will be added making a total of £33.00

Does that make sense?

Message 27 of 47

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
See, as I said on page one, wider scope than a month.
Your bill is normal and after this first one your bill will be 33 a month
Message 28 of 47

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
See, as I said on page one, wider scope than a month.
Your bill is normal and after this first one your bill will be 33 a month

...and what I said in my very first post though the issue was clouded by cloak and dagger comments wink

Message 29 of 47

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Of course.
Message 30 of 47