Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom response to O2

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

It's not online yet, but Ofcom have released a statement saying O2 are not in breach of any regulations with respect to their most recent price increase.

That'll surely annoy a few keyboard warriors.

It's in the Mobile Today edition released on 7th Feb, so will probably be on www.mobiletoday.co.uk fairly soon.

ewan

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_hcir wrote:

@ewanrw wrote:

It's not online yet, but Ofcom have released a statement saying O2 are not in breach of any regulations with respect to their most recent price increase.

That'll surely annoy a few keyboard warriors.

Yep, seems like the nail in the coffin of any of our hopes to seek redress from OFCOM or the ombudsman.  I have yet to have a reply from the ombudsman myself, but the way things are looking at the thread over on moneysavingexpert it seems like the "old boys club" have decided to club together and tell punters to get stuffed.

I'll have to resign myself to paying the extra and leaving o2 at the first possible opportunity (just 22 months to go!)

Very sad.  I joined o2 with such optimism, and now feel very jaded at an organisation which clearly doesn't give a stuff about it's customers - still no official response on this forum regarding the price hike, little to no official representation on this forum at all, noticably worse call quality and data sepeeds in Stoke and the surrounding area than even two months ago!  I remember a friend telling me about the o2 of old - the one that called him whenever he exceeded his allowances and offered to uplift him to a new tarrif and backdate it for the month, a company which he said he would never leave.  That company seems to be dead.

Other networks are offering inclusive roaming and making communication abroad cheaper for everyone - o2 are doing a complete 360 and making communicating abroad more expensive.

Agree with most of what you say, apart from the last bit - roaming costs haven't changed, the cost of calling abroad from the uk has.

Message 11 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

So 1 day after the announcment I was correct all along in my summary, would be nice if people that doubted me apologised http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-mid-term-rise-v-ofcom-ruling-Facts/td-p/61152... in that thread

Back to wantys for a drink to celebrate!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 22

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Agree with most of what you say, apart from the last bit - roaming costs haven't changed, the cost of calling abroad from the uk has.

I stand corrected!  

Interesting what you agreed with in your unofficial opinion, though.  I guess o2 really are having a rough time to have fallen so far from grace.  😞

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_hcir wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I stand corrected!  

Interesting what you agreed with in your unofficial opinion, though.  I guess o2 really are having a rough time to have fallen so far from grace.  😞

I was agreeing that there's probably no redress, which is consistently what I've been saying since the increase was announced.  O2 will have consulted with ofcom and also with lawyers before making changes, and before inserting new clauses into contracts.

I also agreed that if you wanted out of o2 you'd have to pay to do so, unless you were out of contract.

I also agreed that it was sad, that O2 don't seem to be like the company they were 5, 10, 15 years ago. 

Message 14 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Never doubted you for a moment Adam. You ate one of the more knowledgeable members on here and always pay facts, not assumptions.
Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:
Never doubted you for a moment Adam. You ate one of the more knowledgeable members on here and always pay facts, not assumptions.

Oh dear.

Turned cannibal   Jaw-dropping

Hope you are well @jonsie 

Message 16 of 22

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed @adamtemp64 it appears you were proved right in the end HOWEVER people do have the right to question and challenge and I still wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a legal challenge.

Yes o2 may have gone via its legal team and maybe via OFCOM but that doesn't automatically mean they are correct.

I think this has further to run. There is currently a challenge via the Unfair Contract Terms Act that might go legal as an RPI increase can't be clarified at the point of entering into a contract.

For me personally I agree with your view and I have signed a document that includes price increases. U don't like it but it's the way it is.
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:
Gonna switch off swype and predictive text or maybe leave off the rum!

Stay on the rum and forget the other two.

Them two often get me also !  Crazy

Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Hopefully you got the gist of what I was trying to say but in my defence it is 2.45am here!
Message 20 of 22