cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 chat once again. Gotta laugh...or cry :)

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi there

So I've damaged my O2 Pay&Go sim, ordered a new one, and once it has arrived went to the O2 chat in order to get my number transferred to a new sim.

Posting a transcript here, as to me it tells a thing or two about the O2 customer service as well as puts a kinda sad smile on my face. slight_smile

info: Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
info: You're through to 'O2'
O2: Hi I'm *****. How can I help?
Eric: Hi
Eric: As I damaged my PayGo sim, I asked for a new one to be sent out to me
Eric: Now it has arrived, so I'd like to transfer my PayGo number, tariff, credit and alowances onto that new sim
Eric: could you help me with that?
O2: I'll help you in transferring your number.
O2: Can you help me with your old number and its SIM Serial number?
Eric: which one is the "old" number?

(I know it sounds like a stupid question to ask, but I did just in case slight_smile )

O2: The one which is damaged.
Eric: it's 07*********
Eric: i don't know the serial number of that sim though
O2: Can you help me with the 2 numbers you frequently call or send text?
Eric: just a sec
Eric: *********** and ***********
O2: Thank you.
O2: Just give me a minute.
O2: Thanks for waiting.
O2: I'm sorry to say that this is a special number and we won't be able to take the request for this number.

("SPECIAL" NUMBER? :[ ] Any ideas what that could mean? slight_smile )

O2: I'll help you with the link to send the request for the number transfer.
Eric: what do you mean by the "special number"
Eric: ?

O2: Click here (THE LINK LEADS TO http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/)
O2: Special number is a specific series of numbers and we've specialized team on call which handles theie query.
O2: their*
Eric: so you gave me that link
O2: Click here to send the request for number transfer
Eric: Are you aware of the very first step your website asks me to do once I click that link?

A PAUSE....

Eric: hello?
O2: Yes, I'm with you.
Eric: Are you aware of the very first step your website asks me to do once I click that link?
O2: It ask you to enter the number.
Eric: it asks me to enter the number, so it can send me a verification text
Eric: how am I supposed to receive that text if my sim is damaged?
O2: Therefore I requested you to call our team. (NO, YOU NEVER slight_smile )
O2: From your O2 mobile 4445 25p per call
O2: From a landline 0344 8090222 Standard UK Rate
O2: From abroad +44 7860 980 202 International rates

WELL, NOW YOU HAVE REQUESTED TO CALL THE TEAM slight_smile

Eric: why you gave me the link then if it's clearly unusable
Eric: ?
O2: Opening times
O2: Monday - Friday 08:00 - 21:00
O2: Saturday 08:00 - 20:00
O2: Sunday 09:00 - 18:00
O2: We provide this link to call the customers for self serve.
O2: I'm sorry, if this would've been possible from my end, I'd have already helped you

Have a nice evening, folks slight_smile

Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think in my experience if the person handling your query doesn't understand the problem, they will round-robin the issue by asking you things you already answered. The best bet is to keep it straight to the point and don't dumb it down to the point where you could be asking why your kettle isn't working.

The whole point is though, when you go to a mechanics you expect the engineer to know much more than you do. It should be the same for a service like this otherwise it's not really fit for purpose. A more inviting, friendly attitude wouldn't go wrong either as opposed to a monotone robot reading off-a-screen.

My hat goes off to those who do that as a job as I certainly couldn't do it on a daily basis and maintain my sanity (what is left of it....).

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 31 of 105

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Either get rid of it and direct people here or source it back in the uk. It isn't for for purpose and I would no more trust them to make changes on my account than I would a 2 year old.

Having said that a two year old would make a better job. It's ok being all magnanimous about the problem but there is no one off  solution. A reference manual and Google translate is totally inadequate as a form of customer service.

The members on here are far more qualified and knowledgeable than O2 chat...fact!

Message 32 of 105

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I shall feed this thread back to the team. However, please do not include chat advisor's names if you want to print (or quote) chat transcripts. I will have edit them out if I see them.

Thanks slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 33 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

The whole point is though, when you go to a mechanics you expect the engineer to know much more than you do. It should be the same for a service like this otherwise it's not really fit for purpose.

Then costs would have to rise, because the people know much more than you do want to earn more money than O2 is paying the live chat operators.  Sorry, but that is the reality of it.

It may, however, be possible to improve the current service somewhat.  That's what I am hoping for.

@anticpated wrote:

A more inviting, friendly attitude wouldn't go wrong either as opposed to a monotone robot reading off-a-screen

I have never had this problem with O2 live chat, and I have used it on a number of occasions.  Maybe because I always chat to them about things in general whilst they are waiting for the system to load up, or whatever.  They are so suprised when you are actually nice to them, because few people are.

My hat goes off to those who do that as a job as I certainly couldn't do it on a daily basis and maintain my sanity (what is left of it....).

I had a ex-girlfriend who was a supervisor who worked in a call centre, and I know for sure that I couldn't do it.

Message 34 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Either get rid of it and direct people here or source it back in the uk. It isn't for for purpose and I would no more trust them to make changes on my account than I would a 2 year old.

Having said that a two year old would make a better job. It's ok being all magnanimous about the problem but there is no one off  solution. A reference manual and Google translate is totally inadequate as a form of customer service.

The members on here are far more qualified and knowledgeable than O2 chat...fact!

Are you going to offer to go and work there?  For less than £150 a MONTH?

Yeah, why don't O2 open a other call centre in the UK?

Because your line rental would go up 50%, and the shareholders wouldn't like that.

Any more great ideas?

Message 35 of 105

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

My experience of live chat or indeed phone support has been subjective to the outcome. The last time when my handset stopped working properly it took around 15 minutes to set up an appointment to send it to repair, The repair part I don't wish to discuss as it just annoys me. On the call part, after the "unrepairable" phone got sent back to me was pretty unhelpful and frustrating.

In my opinion, there is far too much departmental buck-passing and the customer is often on an end of telephone line unable to properly resolve the situation themself. Oh by the way, I managed to resolve the telephone issue myself.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 36 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rude, and like a robot with google translate?  Not my experience...

Try treating them like human beings.  Suddenly they become ten times more motivated to deal with your query.

I wonder why?

Message 37 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

2015-01-08 10.55.48.png

Message 38 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

2015-01-08 10.56.54.png

Message 39 of 105

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Most people, who see the Chat window appear when they have come to the website with a problem, aren't interested in small talk while the system loads up. They have a problem. They want it sorted. Most also, @Anonymous  are not as technically proficient as you appear to be, nor do they have girlfriends who used to work in call centres. Just bad luck on their part, I guess. Line rental would not go up by 50% to base call centres here. If they did, O2 would have a lot fewer customers. There are UK companies who use UK based call centres. I'm sure they pass some of the cost on, but some they must absorb, and their reward is better customer relations. O2 is in the process of outsourcing their entire Customer Service operation, which will make it even more frustrating for people. People working here for O2 will lose their jobs. Not because it's better for the customer, but because it's cheaper for O2. I guess you find that acceptable. I don't.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 40 of 105