cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Great if you stay below 100mb
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 591 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 123358 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Great if you stay below 100mb

We are talking about me though...so that doesn't create any problems...Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 592 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think I am slightly confused with how much I will be charged when I go to turkey next month. Please could someone let me know in 'lay-man" terms how much I will be charged for making a call back home, sending a text and general web browsing. I am a payg customer and currently have bundle of 250 minutes, 1000 texts and 500MB of 2G/3G/4G data in the UK for £10 a month. Thanks in advance

Message 593 of 633

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Look up turkey here
http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 594 of 633

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

If you opt into O2 Travel it will cost you £3.99/day

How will O2 Travel work?

For £3.99 a day in Turkey and £4.99 a day outside of Europe customers will get all the data they need, plus 120 minutes to make and receive calls and 120 texts to use each day within their selected travel destination and back to the UK. The O2 Travel daily charge within Europe will stay the same, at £1.99 a day for minutes, texts and data.

Bear in mind though that if you keep O2 Travel, just sending a single text will trigger the £3.99 daily charge for that 24 hour period.

Opting out means you are charged the standard rates :

Capture.JPG

Message 595 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same msg!!!! Trying to call them (very busy!!!!) and also txt chat online but got the following 😞

We're just checking  to see if there's an available agent!!!!!

Message 596 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 123358 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the same msg!!!! Trying to call them (very busy!!!!) and also txt chat online but got the following 😞

We're just checking  to see if there's an available agent!!!!!

What exactly do you want to query @Anonymous? Maybe we could answer here on the forum...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 597 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

On this subject, I was away in the USA for 2 weeks at the end of July, during which time I recieved numerous phone calls from the UK.

On the 21st July I was charged the £4.99 daily charge (no other days) and have been very careful not to text or make any calls so phoned CS - they told me that if I declined a call and it went to Voicemail that can also trigger the charge which seems utter BS to me as the T&C implies that it is a call to Voicemail is included but not a declined call.

"O2 Travel provides a separate allowance of data, minutes and texts while you're away and won't affect your standard UK tariff allowances. Voicemail (901) is included in the cost."

Has anyone else had this issue with them as it seems particulalry unfair to charge for a call that I have never wanted in the first place?

I'm awaiting a manager to call back on this as I'm lodging a formal complaint if this is the case.

Ritch

Message 598 of 633

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
No idea. I always turn vm off for that very reason.

Currently using:
Message 599 of 633

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's always advisable to turn off voicemail before you go overseas. Unless you have TU open, you are charged for anyone leaving a voicemail and then again when you listen to it. If on P&G then you need to make sure you call 1760 before you leave the UK.

Message 600 of 633