cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145758 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28018 Solutions
I dunno - I wasn't there?
I guess it depends on how much data was used, network capacity etc......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 581 of 633

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 582 of 633

MI5
  • 145758 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28018 Solutions
I'm only quoting the T&C's that O2 post on their site.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 583 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I would only use it for browsing and reading articles etc. Also messaging on Skype. Rarely would I bother to watch Youtube. Hopefully the allowance should be sufficient.

I'm disappointed with the new policy. It's confusing for customers. Sending 1 text will incur charges they may not envisage. I much prefered the one call for 1 hour 50p connection charge and would prefer to be given more data for the £1.99.

After over 15 years on 02 I may consider other options soon.

Thanks for your responses.
Pete
Message 584 of 633

MI5
  • 145758 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28018 Solutions
Best of luck Pete.
Let us know how you get on with it please.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 585 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I only made use of o2 Travel consciously once on 30 July. Sent some texts and made calls. 

My o2 app then showed I had used o2 Travel on 27 July. I have no recollection (or phone records) of sending texts/calls/data on that day without being connected to WIFI and using iMessage. o2 assure me I did send one text. 

So this is where the new o2 Travel doesn't work for me. If had known I had incurred the £1.99 charge by sending a one penny text I would have left my data on and possibly made a call or two. I didn't think I had so end up paying £1.99 for one text. BUT give credit where credit is due. o2 have refunded me for the 27 July. I said I was happy to pay for what I have used but cannot see who I sent a text to. They say they can show the records in a weeks time.

I wish o2 had left o2 Travel as it was. The text rate of last summer was ok by me and I was happy witht the 50 pence for 1 hour call. It was simple. Also if I couldnt get WIFI I knew by switching data on I would get charged the £2 for doing so. 

Ironcially it made me less likely to use my phone abroad. Perhaps next time I will switch off o2 Travel completely. 

P

Message 586 of 633

MI5
  • 145758 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28018 Solutions
If you don't intend to use mobile data you are far better off opting out.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 587 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 123765 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7490 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you don't intend to use mobile data you are far better off opting out.

I agree...although I am opted in...and only use it if and when necessary. My bill, when I was last abroad was only £3.98 higher than usual....I can live with that...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 588 of 633

MI5
  • 145758 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 28018 Solutions
Just remember to make the most of the days you use it to get full benefit.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 589 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 123765 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7490 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Just remember to make the most of the days you use it to get full benefit.

I do...this time it was at Malaga airport as the Wifi is rubbish...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 590 of 633