Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery SMS "charges when abroad"

Quackduck
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

According to my Pay Monthly bill this month I've been charged extra for 5 (so far!) SMS messages to the following number while abroad: 07860 019210 

I don't recognise the number, I have not sent any SMS while I've been away, and I have no record on my phone of having sent these messages.

A quick Google of the number suggests it's either a scam, or it's related to O2 somehow, as other O2 customers have experienced the same while abroad. I am using an eSIM for mobile data since the O2 plan was too expensive.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I've been trying to get hold of someone at O2 customer service for the past 24h but no luck. I'd just like to understand what I'm being charged for, or whether it's a scam. (Blocking the number won't help since my O2 bill claims I sent the messages myself.)

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124204 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

@Mari80 

Apparently this was stopped according to  this post https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Mystery-SMS-quot-charges-when-abroad-quot/m-p/1717921/high... 

I'll tag our manager @Dave-O2 to see if he can help.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 81 of 95

Mari80
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cleriff thank you very much for your fast reply, unfortunately it is still happening to me (at list!), and I don't seem to have any luck with customer support. I put my spending cap to £0 and removed bolt on to avoid more charges...@Dave-O2 I would appreciate some help. Thank you!

Message 82 of 95

Mari80
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Png, I set my spending cap to 0 and asked to remove bolt on to avoid further charges. I should probably turn my UK sim completely off but I find it frustrating this is happening and we can get to the bottom of the issue. Fingers crossed it will be sorted.

Message 83 of 95

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37223 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

The Spend Cap won't make any difference to these charges, as far as I have seen reported here, @Mari80 

O2 have indicated that they will not be charging people for SMS to that number, starting a few days ago - so it is possible you may get a refund of the £18 of charges for SMS from your phone to that number in due course. If you are referring to the O2 Travel Bolt-On, that will cause you to be charged £6 per day that your phone sends or received data on the O2 Roaming partner network in Japan, or receives a call and forwards it to Voicemail or an (inadvertent, or silent) SMS is sent - but once the £6 charge is triggered, all calls, texts etc in that 24hr period after it has been triggered are included at no cost to you.

Mean time, disabling the O2 SIM is a good idea, if you do not need it for any OTP or 2FA texts, eg from banks, O2 themselves, etc.

Please do wait, I am sure @Dave-O2 will respond later today or tomorrow to get information from you regarding the charges and set right any charges resulting from SMS from your phone to 07860 019210.

Good luck!

Message 84 of 95

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff @pgn 

@Mari80 Are these charges on your bill from before 7 May? If so, these charges will be automatically credited. 

If these charges are showing after 7 May, please drop me a PM with your mobile number and I'll take a closer look 👍

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 85 of 95

Shaun8
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ive got these charges on my account for a second time now 'charges abroad to 07860 019210' costing 50p each, these happened two months ago and I was told by O2 customer services they would sort it but clearly they have not, what's going on ?

Message 86 of 95

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37223 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Shaun8 wrote:

Ive got these charges on my account for a second time now 'charges abroad to 07860 019210' costing 50p each, these happened two months ago and I was told by O2 customer services they would sort it but clearly they have not, what's going on ?

And another being charged for SMS to 07860 019210, @Dave-O2 - seems the charges still happen, despite the affirmation they will no longer appear on people's bills...

Message 87 of 95

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 791 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks @pgn 

@Shaun8 Can you please drop me a PM with your mobile number and I'll get this checked out?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 88 of 95

Shaun8
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi  @Dave-O2 just sent PM with number

Message 89 of 95

Shaun8
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi  @Dave-O2 apologies meant to say O2 CS have sent me a text to say they are crediting money back for this but I really cant be going through this ordeal of having to convince them I didn't send these texts every time it happens. 

Message 90 of 95