Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery SMS "charges when abroad"

Quackduck
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

According to my Pay Monthly bill this month I've been charged extra for 5 (so far!) SMS messages to the following number while abroad: 07860 019210 

I don't recognise the number, I have not sent any SMS while I've been away, and I have no record on my phone of having sent these messages.

A quick Google of the number suggests it's either a scam, or it's related to O2 somehow, as other O2 customers have experienced the same while abroad. I am using an eSIM for mobile data since the O2 plan was too expensive.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

I've been trying to get hold of someone at O2 customer service for the past 24h but no luck. I'd just like to understand what I'm being charged for, or whether it's a scam. (Blocking the number won't help since my O2 bill claims I sent the messages myself.)

Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Suei
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Dave-O2 I am in Turkey and been charged £4 for 8 texts to this number having read these posts I can see the matter should have stopped but it’s on going. I have set my spend cap to £5 as was too late for zero but it seems that is even useless.What are O2 doing to stop this? Please advise what I do when I get home as experience with customer service at O2 is dire it took 6 months for a written complaint to be resolved via the ombudsman On another matter as nobody assists. Thanks Sue 

Message 91 of 95

DaveC80
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After 20 years of being with 02 this issue has made me decide to close my account. 

They know its a fraudulent issue yet they are making good money from this scam so they keep it going.

Message 92 of 95

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 786 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Morning @Suei 

I can see you've dropped me a PM, I'll be back in touch to discuss this further shortly.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 93 of 95

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37205 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@DaveC80 wrote:

After 20 years of being with 02 this issue has made me decide to close my account. 

They know its a fraudulent issue yet they are making good money from this scam so they keep it going.

This will help you close your account with a minimum of issues, @DaveC80 - Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Good luck with your new provider, I hope you have tested they cover the areas you frequent by using one of the new provider's PAYG SIMs before signing up to a new contract with them. Alas O2 is the only stable signal where I live, so no choice... 🙄

Message 94 of 95

Geoffduc
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am currently in Dubai and this number is appearing on my bill so O2 are still charging

Any idea what can be done 

Ant advice would be appreciated 

Message 95 of 95