cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term customer at the end of his tether

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 since they were BTCellnet and have been very happy up until a couple of years ago.

O2 insurance has gone right downhill. My latest experience was that they didn't have my model in stock and so offered me 3 replacement handsets, but the 3 they offered me were 2 years old and 5" devices whereas mine is a 6.4" phablet. Because I wasn't happy with the replacements offered, I was told I had to wait for mine to come in stock which took over 3 weeks. Not so long ago, I always had a replacement phone within 24 hours, and if mine wasn't in stock, they offered models that were currently being sold on the website.

Then I have the issues of calls not reaching my phone, people trying to contact me saying they're getting the message "this phone is not in service".

Data speeds, unless on 4g are way slower than other networks, even when I have an H+ connection, just loading google can take forever.

The data allowances are far too restrictive and too expensive, so streaming is pretty much out of the question. What use is 4g if you can't stream music and video. 

Customer services, who used to be the best amongst any I'd used, are now mainly the usual script readers who don't have any idea on how to actually help you.

My latest android handset came with a locked bootloader so I wasn't able to load custom roms. This I see as criminal as I am buying the device and it's perfectly legal for me to run whatever software I like, I don't see why O2 should dictate to me what software to run. The O2 branded android ROM is buggy and crashes frequently, so I've had to settle with running an unbranded stock rom.

And finally, now that I'm moving network, O2 are refusing to offer me an unlock code for my device. The plan is paid off in full, but they keep claiming that it isn't an o2 device. I've tried the webform, customer services, and raising it to managers, but no-one can do anything about it. It's locked to the o2 network and was bought directly from them, so obviously they have the ability to unlock it, they're just being unhelpful or just aren't trained enough.

I'm fed up, and off. They used to be one of the best networks around, the last couple of years unfortunately, they've just given up on being humane. I only hope the buyout by Hutchinson will turn them around.

My condolences to all of you under their wing, and I hope you make it out alive.

Comiserations

Message 1 of 39
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Ombudsman won't take on your case I'm afraid as you haven't started or completed the complaints process and as you haven't started it the 8 week rule doesn't apply either.

Sadly you need a resolution by tomorrow but complaints won't deal with it that quickly.

Send me a pm and I will send you a contract number for sometime high up in o2 who might, just might, be able to help you @Anonymous

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If the device was bought from O2 and paid off in full then O2 are legally obliged to unlock it.

How to complain

Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more, but I've been trying for 6 weeks and must have restarted the process 7 or 8 times, 2 of those with managers, and they take it so far and then I stop hearing from them. 

I keep getting emails and text messages saying "we can't unlock this phone" or "this phone was not bought from O2, could you provide the original purchase order number and date", even when I respond to the emails outlining that it was purchased from O2 and giving precise purchase orders and dates, I never get a response and so have to call up again, at which point they're only recourse is to start the process from scratch again.

I've given up, I have no faith that any member of CS, even a manager will do what they say they're going to do and keep working this to completion. As soon as they end they're shift, there is no handover for the process to continue.

I'll have to resort to one of those dodgy websites or even dodgier market stalls which infuriates me. This phone is MY property, not O2's and they have no right to make this process difficult for customers, and certainly not force them to use risky processes to get the job done.

Message 3 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I assume you have definitely tried a non o2 sim card in it?
Usually, the messages you are getting back turns out that the phone isn't locked, but O2 systems don't report that, they just say "not o2 phone", which it isn't if already unlocked......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have and it pops up requesting the unlocking code.

The phone was supplied by O2, has O2 branding and is locked to the O2 network.

Message 5 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't help the OP but Three sell all their phone unlocked, hopefully this practice will still be in place after the take over is finalised, eventually ending situations like this.

Message 6 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

not a quick fix but maybe send in an official complaint asking why they are refusing adhere to rules and regulations regarding unlocking?

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny you should mention Three as they're the ones I'm moving to. They're offering me the same contract I had with O2 but with unlimited data for the same price, I can't argue with that.

Three used to be aweful, but they've come along way in the last 5 years and now are amongst the best. Their buyout of O2 is going to be interesting.

Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to have to put in a formal complaint as it's truly unacceptable and needs to be addressed. My number transfers tomorrow so I have to get it done today. I have been advised by Three to go into an O2 store and get them to do it which I'll try this afternoon.

Message 9 of 39

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately the stores can't do it - They will just refer you back to CS.
It really is another of o2's monumental screw ups, sadly not uncommon these days......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 39