cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
The past two months I've used up all my data but have not used my phone any more than I usually do so I do not understand y I have such an increase in data usage recently!! Contacted O2 a few times and got different responses each time... Not very comforting!! Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas y this is happening?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The only issue I have with mine is that when I'm on wifi and the iPhone goes to sleep it reverts to O2 internet as a battery saver.

So I turn off mobile data in my settings whilst at home.

You can purchase a data bolt on via your myo2 if you want more or as you are doing just use wifi.

Hopefully the stats will show what's using what.
Message 11 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you search this forum (and Google) you will find many reports of iPhones using vast amounts of data.
It started with the iPhone 5 and iOS6.
It effects some people but not all and can come and go at random.
The fact that it is reported on all network forums suggests it is an Apple issue but they won't admit it.
Truth is no one knows the answer unfortunately except to buy a non Apple phone.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol the power of android! Thanks for all your responses!
Message 13 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Android power ,.... Meh...... wink
Message 14 of 29

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you search this forum (and Google) you will find many reports of iPhones using vast amounts of data.
It started with the iPhone 5 and iOS6.

Actually I had the same with the 4S and ios6. The only cure is to turn off mobile data when on wifi wink

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 15 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

Actually I had the same with the 4S and ios6. The only cure is to turn off mobile data when on wifi wink

Yes, it was at the same time (iP5 & iOS6 launched together).

Looks like it's pointing towards iOS6 as the instigator but it's still happening now on 7. whatever they are up to.

Some have thought it was down to sending diagnostic data to Apple but others have this option turned on and don't use excessive data, so it's still a mystery......?

Unless anyone know's the real answer and not guesswork and speculation?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been getting this too, ever since I renewed my contract via O2 simplicity, not using my phone anymore than usual and yet blasting through my data in half the time?  really annoying as it means my phone (iPhone) is pretty much useless half the time as I get no messages, no calls through, nada!!

Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Normal messages and calls should come through fine without any data allowances left.

Mms and FaceTime will not.

You do have the option of adding a Bolt On or see if you can increase your data part of the tariff allowance. Via ringing 202 or looking in your Myo2 to see what's available to you.

Or if payg add a bolt on or turn off mobile data.
Message 18 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
or Apple could just fix the issue !!!

Currently using:
Message 19 of 29

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 20 of 29